D&D (2024) What should be ability score cap for standard PCs?

Ability score cap for PCs

Votes: 4 5.4%

Votes: 31 41.9%

Votes: 24 32.4%
  • Other?

Votes: 15 20.3%

aco175

Legend
I was thinking of a cap of 20 still but letting each race be able to exceed in certain stats to 22. This might still allow the old way of saying that halflings are dexterous and goliaths are strong.

Then I found myself contradicting myself with magic books and such raising stats, and, well -it's magic. So that should count as well.

Not sure if both ideas are valid if you read a book and are a goliath raising to 24 now, but it is a start to think about.

Horwath

Legend
I was thinking of a cap of 20 still but letting each race be able to exceed in certain stats to 22. This might still allow the old way of saying that halflings are dexterous and goliaths are strong.

Then I found myself contradicting myself with magic books and such raising stats, and, well -it's magic. So that should count as well.

Not sure if both ideas are valid if you read a book and are a goliath raising to 24 now, but it is a start to think about.
that's just going into ability inflation,

but, I do miss my 3.5e red wizard/archmage with 28 Int and spellcasting prodigy with spell DC of; "GO F YOURSELF!"

Howevery, in retrospect, I see that this kind of ability boosting is bad for the game.

Yaarel

He Mage
I wouldnt mind caps by tier.
Levels 0-3: 14
Levels 4-7: 16
Levels 8-11: 18
Levels 12-15: 20
Levels 16-19: 22
Levels 20-23: 24

That said, I am fine with 20, and appreciate 22 near Epic.

Remove ads