• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) What Should D&D 2024 Have Been +

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I think fireball should be the default. We need a little power creep in 5E, speeds up combats and make things a little more spicy.
I don't think that needs power creep, I think it needs swinginess. 3.x style outsized criticals sure make things spicy -- and can end combats real fast.

so fireball is outlier because it's only damage spell that does not feel like waste of a spell slot?
Honestly? I can't say fireball is more than a top four AoE third level damage spell.

Lightning Bolt does the same damage with more positioning potential; I think it has a higher skill floor but a higher skill ceiling.

Spirit Guardians does the same damage in two turns fireball does in one - how is bad guy counterplay.

And Hunger of Hadar not only damages but debilitates, also doing the same damage in two turns Fireball does in one.

mamba

Legend
so fireball is outlier because it's only damage spell that does not feel like waste of a spell slot?
it is the outlier because WotC said they intentionally buffed it as it is an iconic spell that should be taken frequently, so yes, it is an outlier

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads