What single houserule has made your game AWESOME?

Talysian

Explorer
"I've also taken to making players roll their defenses so a monster crit happens when they roll a 1. This has taken all of the dice out of my hands, kept my players more involved, and made combats much quicker."

Can you explain how this works in more detail please?

Basically as stated above I take 22+AB. Then have my players roll d20+Defense and tell me the number, if it meets or is less then the monster hits. If the players roll a 1 and the attack would hit it's a crit. If they roll a 1 and with all the bonus's the attack would miss. It's a normal hit.

Essentially rolling a 20 in reverse.

I state:
Morigon, Telife, Sweetpea you see the kobold archmage pulling in energy from the everafter and watch as a huge ball of protoplasmic ice begins to form above you. Give me a Reflex roll.

Morigon. (ref 17) I roll (d20+17) a 22
Telife (Ref 20) I roll (d20+20) 39
Sweetpea (Ref 21) I roll (d20+21) 22 (nat 1)

The kobald archmage has a +8 to attack so the dc is (22+8)=30

Morigon you attempt to throw yourself out of the way of the forming ice, however you back right into it and feel you'r bones begin to freeze from the inside.

Telife somehow you manage to throw up your shield and dodge out of the way as the ice swallows in around you, your hair appears to have taken the worst of the damage and is now cold wet and frozen to you.

Sweetpea... the cold slams into you, as your blood begins to freeze in your veins.

Now say the kobold archmage's damage is 2d6+8 (and he has a magic staff that gives him +1d6 on criticals.)

So Dmg would be (4+4+8)16/(6+6+8+(4 crit die))24

Morigon you take 16 points of cold damage, Telife you take none, Sweetpea you take 24 points of cold damage from the attack.'

I hope thats clear I haven't had my coffee yet.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Err .. by "Downside" I meant for our version, not for yours ;)

ah .. I guess my brain thought somewhere in there... ummm never mind not enough sleep recently... The idea in a general sense seems to be mostly up... ;-)Talysian does more of the describing than I necessarily do once the player is used to the process its possible to let them roll with it. ... I mean verbally take the ball.

I seem to be having a very round day... not sure what that means.

Thraug

First Post
Basically as stated above I take 22+AB. Then have my players roll d20+Defense and tell me the number, if it meets or is less then the monster hits. ....

For the correct math, 22+AB is a DC the character must roll against, meaning they only need to roll that number or more to succeed. You're cheating the players by one point. :)

Talysian

Explorer
Where does the "22" come from in the "22+AB"? Doesn't this number vary by level of the mob? I don't get it.

I know I am gimping my players out on a point however, I make that up by the bonus's I give them for descriptions. I typically have them describe their defensive actions. I just did it here for fluff to what I was writing.

22 is based off of the 12(what the avearge to hit wizards assumes into their math) +10 (to reflect the +10 bonus to Defense) + the creatures attack bonus.

I use the 22 so that players can use CB sheets. And not have to remember to subtract the default ten from Defense bonus.

Rachel

First Post
We use 75% monster hp's and monsters add 1/2 level bonus to damage. Its worked out well for us.

We don't touch the player side of things since we use the Character Builder and this means the players don't have to mess around with what gets printed from that.

I made an entire topic covering Monsters with too much HP that's 4 pages long and I got *killed* for it by almost everyone. Then I see there are at least 3 posters on *this* thread that agree and use HP reduct/+damage.

I am seriously sad right now. :.-(

Nifelhein

First Post
Don't be, MM2 has significantly lower solo and elite hps while increasing their abilities when theya re bloodied, this is simply because MM1 solo and elites are too grindy. ;)

Rachel

First Post
Don't be, MM2 has significantly lower solo and elite hps while increasing their abilities when theya re bloodied, this is simply because MM1 solo and elites are too grindy. ;)

Oh, I see. Well I have MM1 and have looked over MM2 and wasn't able to really compare them. Thnx for cheering me up a bit.:heh:

Remove ads