What single houserule has made your game AWESOME?

Fanaelialae

Legend
Removal of the +2 defense bonus for both solos and elites and the x5 hp multiplier for solos. Also, they recommend solos should deal more damage once they've been bloodied.

Talysian

Explorer
I've also taken to making sure Solo's have either an option for attacks on less then standard actions. I usually give them an Immediate reaction or interupt and then a, minor type one. Followed by when bloodied this happens effect as well.

Keenberg

First Post
The purple index cards (http://www.enworld.org/forum/4e-fan...dex-cards-fly-setting-plot-collaboration.html) totally make my game. A year from now I won't remember how often a PC hit or missed against an equivalent level monster or whatever, but these little toys put memorable moments in every session. ^.^

Agreed. We have only used them once (in our most recent session) but the game was awesome. I had all kinds of contingency things prepared that I didn't know when I'd be able to use, but when the players made up the story that session, I was able to use a bit of it. We all had a blast.

Zaphling

First Post
I also let my PCs roll an initiative for their team versus the initiative for my monsters. I agree, this way it will force the players to create tactics and teamplay.
I also make my battles dynamic. Attack rolls vs Defense rolls. As stated earlier, you just subtract the flat 10 in defenses. So defense stats will look like this.

AC: +7
Fort: +4
Ref: +7
Will: +2

I also added critical effects to make the game more random and fun.
If ever they roll a natural 20, excluding the full damage, they will also roll d%. and compare it to a char of effects.
D%: Critical
95-100 Knocked unconscious or stunned
90-94 bleeding (ongoing 5 damage)
76-80 weakened
66-70 crippled (slowed)
56-60 dazed
46-50 blinded (-5 attack)
31-40 Knocked prone
20-26 immobilized
1-10 normal damage

If they also roll a natural 1. Not only they will grant combat advantage to all enemies until the end of the PCs next turn. They will roll a d% for effects too.
D%: Fumble
95-100 Full Damage self
88-94 Half Damage self
75-80 Reroll attack
51-70 Knocked prone
31-40 Disarmed (1d8 direction; 1d6 distance)
21-25 Sundered
1-10 Attack ally (dice depending on number of allies)

Then if ever they rolled a natural 20 or 1 in defense rolls, the effects are just simple but really nice.
Perfect Block [20]: the defender can make a free action melee or range basic attack against his attacker.

Fumbled Block [1]: the defender grants combat advantage to his next attacker

Another little but nice house rule. if you push or slide a creature against a wall, you have +1d4 bonus dmg.

Giving my rogue PC access to Improved Feint feat. Feinting is now a minor action instead of standard.

and I borrowed from Dragon Age, if ever PCs faint or in other words, reaches 0hp or below as long he is not dead, whenever he comes back into consciousness, he rolls a d% and compare it to a chart of negative effects. These effects are cumulative per faint. and they cannot be removed until they reach extended rest.

Last edited:

Mentat55

First Post
I've had great success with monsters doing +33% damage and having 75% hit points. Since I play 4e almost exclusively on RPOL, speeding up combats (# of rounds) has a huge effect on the pace of combat in the play-by-post format.

the Jester

Legend
Colorful critical hits.

Makes crits matter more when they might put yer eye out!

I've adapted my 3e system- the severity of the crit is determined by the proportion of damage you take compared to your current hps- thus, you'll only get "Decapitated" or "Unseemed from Nave to Crotch"* if the damage is severe enough to kill you.

Of course, that's not quite true- having severity on critical hits allows me to put out items and feats that give a bonus to their crit severity, meaning that it is possible to get outrageously lethal effects with slightly less than outrageously lethal damage. If you're really lucky.

*Bonus points if you get the reference.

Last edited:

renau1g

First Post
I've had great success with monsters doing +33% damage and having 75% hit points. Since I play 4e almost exclusively on RPOL, speeding up combats (# of rounds) has a huge effect on the pace of combat in the play-by-post format.

Thanks for the tip. I'll steal it for my PbP games. Have you looked at any here on Enworld?

Remove ads