• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What single new class would you like to see?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I will have to disagree. If you multiclass, you can't get the level 20 capstone ability for Katana. You know, "Win Everything, Ever."
Yea, but you can get "Near-certain Win" as a level 3 dip, which is a great feature for leveling. People (and by people, I mean optimizers, so not really people) focus too much on level 20 builds.

Matthan

Explorer
I know the thread has long since passed its intended purpose, but I would love to see some classes inspired by ENworld's adventure paths. An inquisitor that focuses on countering magic could be neat. A skyseer who is connected to celestial bodies and has powers that shift with the heavens would be interesting. Some steampunk-ish concepts to fill out Zeitgeist. A class or archetype focused on firearms with a path to make some guns do some crazy things. A class that builds a powerful suit of armor that they battle in.

Speaking somewhat seriously of katanas, I do think there's a bit of a gap in the class system for the samurai archetype. And by "samurai" I don't mean the historical dude who wears heavy lacquered armor and uses whatever weapon is best suited for the situation. That guy's a fighter. I mean the Cartoon Network dude who wears a bathrobe and uses a single sacred uber-weapon for everything.

This "kensai" or "blademaster" archetype may work best as a monk, fighter, or paladin subclass rather than a full-blown class, though. I don't know.

Speaking somewhat seriously of katanas, I do think there's a bit of a gap in the class system for the samurai archetype. And by "samurai" I don't mean the historical dude who wears heavy lacquered armor and uses whatever weapon is best suited for the situation. That guy's a fighter. I mean the Cartoon Network dude who wears a bathrobe and uses a single sacred uber-weapon for everything.

This "kensai" or "blademaster" archetype may work best as a monk, fighter, or paladin subclass rather than a full-blown class, though. I don't know.

Samurai Jack can be made with a fairly intuitive multiclass mix of Fighter and Monk (or even Barbarian). That is who I think that you're referring to. If not, what are the defining class features that the archetype depicted has that aren't provided by current options?

Of course there is the school of thought in this thread that it was just the story of a Katana class that picked up a familiar as a roleplaying decision.
Which is bunk of course. Katana don't need to roleplay.

pkt77242

Explorer
How about a melee class with the ability to "see" what will happen before it happens. They could have the ability to give disadvantage to an attacker or to give advantage to themselves or another pc. Maybe add wisdom or intelligence to their AC.

G

Guest 6801328

Samurai Jack can be made with a fairly intuitive multiclass mix of Fighter and Monk (or even Barbarian). That is who I think that you're referring to. If not, what are the defining class features that the archetype depicted has that aren't provided by current options?

Of course there is the school of thought in this thread that it was just the story of a Katana class that picked up a familiar as a roleplaying decision.
Which is bunk of course. Katana don't need to roleplay.

When Katana kill things they are roleplaying.

When Katana kill things they are roleplaying.

You see, this is the proper way to roleplay a Katana. A Katana, properly roleplayed, is akin to an Alien's acidic blood and the universe is a ship's fuselage. Its mere existence should be perpetually tearing a hole in the fabric of space-time, drawing forth all of the universe's material into its Katana Well, poking out the other side into a new universe and continuing onward ad infinitum.

That is proper roleplay.

However.

Consider a Katana that only rolls a 5 in its Prime Requisite of Katanaishness. My contention is that while you've probably rightly achieved a Katana Paradox, it is reasonable for the player of that Katana (I mean "the Katana of that player", of course...pardon) to only be able to slice through the immediate space-time, merely draw in a limited amount of material, and not poke through the other side into another universe. Therefore, all universes would not exist in a state of PKD (Perpetual Katana Destruction).

Like I said. A Katana Paradox. I accept that. But we aren't going for realism here. Just genre emulation.

And again, only 5 Katanaishness. So proper roleplay. Or at least you aren't welcome at my table if you start invoking the laws of PKD and try to roleplay your perfect engine of existence destruction.

What say you?

slightlyprime

First Post
Another fun idea would be a shapeshifter that isn't a spellcaster, moondruid is cool but they are still a caster. So a werewolf class would be cool, or you slowly gain the powers to shapechange into a dragon. Wizards can turn into a dragon with a 9th level slot so feel a balanced class could be made. Few things are coodler than dragons too. So a martial shapeshifter would be fun. Could even have a bruce banner theme possibly.

I'm referring mostly to Samurai Jack, because he's the best one, but also to about 99% of all cartoon characters who touch a katana. And yeah, it's not hard with multiclassing, but not every campaign allows multiclassing, and if you have to multiclass to create such a common character concept, that still looks like a hole in the class system to me. You could create a "bender monk" pretty easily by multiclassing, but we got a bender monk archetype anyway (slapdash as it is), and I'm pretty sure "sword monks" are more common in media than bender monks.

As for class features, the one that jumps out at me would be treating the sword as a magical artifact.

But I really am only spitballing here. This is just a thought that crossed my mind because you guys were talking about katanas.

Remove ads