D&D 5E What Single Thing Would You Add

Faolyn

(she/her)
You could do it with something like Escalation die or Momentum. Or a turn counter. Or a hit counter. After so many turns/hits you power up.
While I like the idea, I'd be hesitant to use it myself if it involved sacrificing an action to use it: too much of a risk of the other players killing the target I was going after, thus wasting my actions and making me useless.

While I like the idea, I'd be hesitant to use it myself if it involved sacrificing an action to use it: too much of a risk of the other players killing the target I was going after, thus wasting my actions and making me useless.
Presumably you could go after another target. If there aren't any other targets, then the fight's over, but that shouldn't come as a surprise very often.

Now, if you feel bad any time you have a turn where you don't take a 'useful' action, this sort of character isn't right for you.

delericho

Legend
I dunno. I still have a hard time with the idea that they would go all "this isn't even my final form!" when they take damage--or that monsters just wouldn't start out with their biggest attacks, in order to minimize the risk of taking damage itself.
Well, several possibilities spring to mind. One is that "this isn't even my final form", but you could also consider a creature like the Hulk, where you don't like when it gets mad. Or, of course, the wounded bear.

I did also say they could behave differently, which isn't the same as better - it's not too big a stretch to have a winged creature lose the ability to fly on becoming bloodied, or whatever.

And, conversely, there are creatures like sharks or sahuagin that become more dangerous when their opponents are bloodied, because of the frenzy that results.

I'm not suggesting it's appropriate for all monsters, of course. But it is a useful tool to have.

Faolyn

(she/her)
I did also say they could behave differently, which isn't the same as better - it's not too big a stretch to have a winged creature lose the ability to fly on becoming bloodied, or whatever.
True. As far as I can tell, in 4e you just got to use certain abilities against bloodied foes.

I guess I also don't understand it because describing how enemies look in battle is so common in my game that I can't imagine using a term to describe someone at a specific hit point value.

And, conversely, there are creatures like sharks or sahuagin that become more dangerous when their opponents are bloodied, because of the frenzy that results.
Also true. Although sharks and sahuagin already get Blood Frenzy which only requires injury, not a certain hp level.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Presumably you could go after another target. If there aren't any other targets, then the fight's over, but that shouldn't come as a surprise very often.

Now, if you feel bad any time you have a turn where you don't take a 'useful' action, this sort of character isn't right for you.
I suppose it would depend on how the ability is worded. Some abilities (and spells) let you switch targets when one is down, but most don't seem to allow that.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Sorry. I was unclear. The point is you'd automatically power up as the normal fight progressed. You would spend your action attacking...and by attacking you power up. There's no wasted action. No stand there and get hit while you're powering up. Like the Escalation die that progresses with the rounds or Momentum that build from normal actions.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
House rule: You can only use your highest level spells after you’re bloodied. Say the top 1/2 of your spell levels. You can cast up to 4th-level spells, so until you’re bloodied 3rd- and 4th-level spells are off limits.
That's the exact opposite of what I'd want to see, in that IMO being hurt enough to be bloodied should make you less effective rather than more effective.

Otherwise, you're just encouraging people not to bother with healing until you're at the whack-a-mole stage.

So reverse it, and make it that once you're bloodied you can't cast your highest-level spells, and you might be on to something.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
That's the exact opposite of what I'd want to see, in that IMO being hurt enough to be bloodied should make you less effective rather than more effective.

Otherwise, you're just encouraging people not to bother with healing until you're at the whack-a-mole stage.

So reverse it, and make it that once you're bloodied you can't cast your highest-level spells, and you might be on to something.
I agree. But the point of the house rule would be to prevent or at least delay the PCs going nova in the first round of every fight.

Remove ads