D&D 5E What Single Thing Would You Eliminate

Reynard

Legend
Leomund's Tiny Hut! I waste more time worrying about that stupid spell than anything. Even though no one has actually cast it IMCs in about 4 years - since I went over to 1 week long rests. It's just so badly designed. :/
As soon as they have access to it, my groups NEVER STOP CASTING IT. It's infuriating.

nevin

Hero
Lol, its visible, its dispellable, and 8 hours of bad guy prep time if they cant dispell it.
I dont let players teleport or dimension door out, no scrying it says in spell description no spells can extend beyond the force effect so any spell too big fails. They are effectively blind to the world in that hut. Use that against them

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Third Edition?
I don't remember it from 3e, but if it was in 3.5 or a splatbook I'd have missed it.
Case in point, then. What level do you think this guy is?

What level of Fighter do you suggest that a player character has to be, to be a better-- or at least faster-- archer than a guy with a YouTube channel?
High. Very high.

How many years of practice did that archer put in before being skilled enough to do what the video shows. Never mind that's in a controlled environment with nobody shooting back at him.
See, and this is why magic doesn't work in D&D, why all of the magical elements and the "heroic" elements don't hang together-- because D&D worlds are not magical worlds, they are mundane worlds with a thin layer of magic spread on top. People then expect that magic to conform to the same physical laws that, by definition, it is breaking and are stymied when it doesn't and can't.
It's fairly easy* IME to add magic to a mundane world and have it work fairly seamlessly; and better yet, have it universally explainable as a part of the setting's physics.

* - if I can do it, and I have, it must be easy. :)

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
I don't remember it from 3e, but if it was in 3.5 or a splatbook I'd have missed it.

Literally the 3.0 Player's Handbook. I don't have a copy handy, or I'd give you the page number. Half-plate imposes a -7 penalty to most Dex-based skills, including Balance and Sleight of Hand.

High. Very high.

How many years of practice did that archer put in before being skilled enough to do what the video shows. Never mind that's in a controlled environment with nobody shooting back at him.

Nobody in that video looks over fifty to me, most of them look under thirty-- and none of them has been trained since birth, nor is any of them a full-time, professional, life-depends-on-it archer. And, quite frankly there isn't and couldn't be any real-life human higher than-- wait for it-- about sixth level or so.

So your "realism" flies in the face of demonstrable reality, and in a game with reality-bending wizards and dragons, you're insisting that larger-than-life sword & sorcery heroes are less competent than real-life hobbyists and reenactors. If I'd tried to explain my point as thoroughly as you've just demonstrated it, I'd be accused of attempting to ridicule you.

Remove ads