D&D General What Sort Of Dragon Would Live Here?

Zardnaar

Legend
So I've been thinking of a Zealandia setting. Basically a fantasy pre human New Zealand but it's bigger due to ice age. Lizard folk and bird folk.

Fairly easy to place red dragons, bronze, blues not so much.

What about this though?

A larger NZ in Ice Age is one island, Zealandia is mor of a continent.

I was thinking mist but they don't seem to exist in 5E except in 3pp. Green maybe. Non volcanic cold, alpine fjords and rain forest (3000mm+ annual rain fall).

Primeval remnant of gondwana. Ferns, reptiles, birds no mammals.

Last edited:

Andvari

Hero
Seems like the kind of place Smaug would live in. Not sure what kind he would be, but in the movies he was gold for a brief period.

Are we limited here to dragons that currently appear in 5e? Or can we suggest dragons from earlier D&D editions and those from other RPGs such as Pathfinder? curious

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
From the standard 5e dragons, Gold and Green would be the two most likely to reside here.

I could also see Bronze dragons living by the coastline and nearby seas.

I could see older and/more reclusive Red and Silver Dragons making lairs here, spending much of their time high in the mist covered mountains away from people.

Celebrim

Legend
Mountainous terrain like that typically is reds in my game. The north island in particular is along the Pacific ring of Fire, so it's like prime red dragon habitat - one of the best in the world. However, New Zealand is a place of great scenic natural beauty so you might end up with a few silver and gold, possibly some bronzes along the coastline.

You'd have some white or green interlopers from time to time, but I'd expect the native reds to devour them before they could get established. There are forests in the northwest of the South Island that would support greens, but they are hard upon the red's mountain ranges. Likewise, you'd have whites coming up from Antarctica, but they've got nowhere to settle that reds wouldn't already claim. The Whangamarino Wetland is large enough to support maybe one black dragon or black dragon breeding pair that might be able to escape the attention of their mightier kindred.

Zardnaar

Legend
Mountainous terrain like that typically is reds in my game. The north island in particular is along the Pacific ring of Fire, so it's like prime red dragon habitat - one of the best in the world. However, New Zealand is a place of great scenic natural beauty so you might end up with a few silver and gold, possibly some bronzes along the coastline.

You'd have some white or green interlopers from time to time, but I'd expect the native reds to devour them before they could get established. There are forests in the northwest of the South Island that would support greens, but they are hard upon the red's mountain ranges. Likewise, you'd have whites coming up from Antarctica, but they've got nowhere to settle that reds wouldn't already claim. The Whangamarino Wetland is large enough to support maybe one black dragon or black dragon breeding pair that might be able to escape the attention of their mightier kindred.

South Island has no volcanos whites could conceivably lair on southern alps and glaciers.

Fantasy Zealandia can turn things up though. I live on an old extinct volcano.

Remove ads