D&D 5E What Spells Would You De-Nerf? (and how would you change them...)

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
When you say "objective", do you mean "subjective"?

LOL yes, I did. Edited and thank you. ;)

Love this. I don't think that there are any spells that require an attack AND a save, but not 100% sure.

I know of at least one:
1583893624727.png

As you can see, it requires an attack roll, allows a save at the end of each of the target's turns, and requires concentration. Why make it a ranged spell attack when it does no damage? Why have a save every round if you also have to concentrate on it?

My De-Nerf would be to remove the ranged spell attack roll, replace it with a DEX save maybe (or CON, but that probably wouldn't be as effective), and either remove the CON save or concentration. I think the most powerful combination would be this:

1583894394653.png

Last edited:

Charm Person, Monster, etc... return it to its original form. A long term effect with a save frequency based on the intelligence of the creature (once per day for high int, once per month for low int).

It is a shame that its only 1 hour? So much lost opportunity for tragic disaster.

RobJN

Adventurer
Charm Person, Monster, etc... return it to its original form. A long term effect with a save frequency based on the intelligence of the creature (once per day for high int, once per month for low int).

It is a shame that its only 1 hour? So much lost opportunity for tragic disaster.
This. Very much this.

Li Shenron

Legend
What spells would you want to de-nerf?

Not exactly a de-nerf, but I would remove GP costs to many spells if not all.

In general I don't think it was a good idea to still have spells with a GP cost in 5e, because money can have a very different importance depending on a group's playstyle and fantasy setting, and a GP cost can be negligible in one game and a real dealbreaker in another.

Coroc

Hero
Power word kill could be upped a bit, although it is also quite ok the way it is.
Maybe it should kill off up to 300hp or up to 500hp but I do not know.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
LOL yes, I did. Edited and thank you. ;)

I know of at least one:
View attachment 119787

As you can see, it requires an attack roll, allows a save at the end of each of the target's turns, and requires concentration. Why make it a ranged spell attack when it does no damage? Why have a save every round if you also have to concentrate on it?

My De-Nerf would be to remove the ranged spell attack roll, replace it with a DEX save maybe (or CON, but that probably wouldn't be as effective), and either remove the CON save or concentration. I think the most powerful combination would be this:

View attachment 119788
I think you should always have to roll to hit with any ray effect.

My de-nerf would be to remove the concentration piece, remove the save-each-round, and just give it a fixed duration. I'd also make it affect everything else tied to Strength rather than just weapon attacks e.g. casting R-of-E on someone climbing a wall should make that climb a lot harder. In other words, it actually knocks down your Strength score for a short time.

Also the initial save would be Con based, not Dex based; your Dex is already helping you try to dodge the ray when it tries to hit you.

And repeated successful castings on the same target should stack!

Lanefan

Victoria Rules

Somewhere in between, is my preference. A dumb monster or an idiot should maybe get a save a week; an average person should maybe get a save every day or two; a genius should get a save every few hours.

BUT - to make things fun, those subsequent saves should be Wisdom-based rather than Int based. :)

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Not exactly a de-nerf, but I would remove GP costs to many spells if not all.

In general I don't think it was a good idea to still have spells with a GP cost in 5e, because money can have a very different importance depending on a group's playstyle and fantasy setting, and a GP cost can be negligible in one game and a real dealbreaker in another.
Small picky costs, yes. 10 g.p. here and 25 g.p. there just gets annoying after a while.

But, big BIG costs for some key spells are something I'd add in if not already present. Raise Dead should cost thousands in sacrifices to the caster's deity; Resurrection even more (and Revivify should simply not exist).

Greater Restoration should also pack a heavy cost depending on what's being restored, with a lower but very-non-zero cost for Lesser.

One-time significant expenses for valuable reuseable components for some spells I'm fine with.

And of course a DM could always adjust these values to suit the general treasure level of her particular campaign.

Remove ads