• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What system did you never get to play even though you wanted to?

Derren

Hero
I guess nearly everyone has at one point found a interesting and slightly obscure RPG he wanted to try but never got the chance because lack if players or other circumstances.

So, whats you list?

Mine:

1. Council of Wyrms
Looked interesting, playing D&D from the other perspective. But I only found it after 3E was out for quite a while and no one wanted to go back to 2E

2. Fireborn
A short lived setting from FFG. Too unknown and small so that the other people in my group took any interest in it

3. Shadowrun
Not really unkown, but my group was too much in "D&D" mode so that DMing for this game was rather impossible. Trying to set up adventures for SR the same way as you do for D&D will result in failure and no one wanted to take the extra effort to read through the background stuff etc. And I didn't want to DM but to play. (Small example, when the DM wanted to capture a PC for story reasons he did not use gas or poison but went, true to D&D style" the subdual damage way by emptying a full clip of stun rounds into him while he slept..."

4. Ars Magica
Here the problem was simply the lack of DM. Everyone wanted to play and when no DM was found the idea was dropped.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
  • GURPS - I own a ton of GURPS sourcebooks, but I've never played a game with the actual system.
  • d6 System - never played d6 Star Wars (or any Star Wars RPG), but I was impressed with the Fantasy/Modern/SciFi hardcover series when they came out. Would love to try running/playing it someday.
  • Cyberpunk 2020 - always thought it looked cool back in the day but never got a chance to try it.

Guillaume

Julie and I miss her
I always wanted to play:
  • In Nomine Satanis/Magna Vertias, the original French version.
  • MERP
  • Star Trek (FASA version
  • 7th Sea

Last edited:

tyrlaan

Explorer
7th Sea

Also:
Earthdawn. I love the setting, but the rules are a bit too clunky for my taste.
I did my fair share of GMing Earthdawn. At the time I thought the rules were just fine. However, now I just can't bring myself to feel the same way. Personally, I think the 4e ruleset could do Earthdawn solid justice. But until either (a) someone does a conversion or (b) I inherit copious amounts of free time, I'll have to settle for what it is.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads