What system would you run Assassin's Creed in?

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
My group is wrapping up our current campaign and everyone's throwing their hats into the ring for what game to play next. One of the group offered to run an Assassin's Creed type of game using either Savage Worlds or FATE as the ruleset.

I might throw out 7th Sea as another option but I'm not very familiar with AC so it may not be a good match. Do you all have any suggestions for a system to run it in? And why would you choose that system? Thanks for your insights!

Celebrim

Legend
My group is wrapping up our current campaign and everyone's throwing their hats into the ring for what game to play next. One of the group offered to run an Assassin's Creed type of game using either Savage Worlds or FATE as the ruleset.

I might throw out 7th Sea as another option but I'm not very familiar with AC so it may not be a good match. Do you all have any suggestions for a system to run it in? And why would you choose that system? Thanks for your insights!

Honestly? Something like 3e D&D or one of its variants - Pathfinder or Conan RPG for example. 4e D&D would work pretty well as well. The reason is that Assassin's creed is a very low lethality game where the PC is pretty much never in danger when faced with only a handful of opponents, and generally speaking doesn't take a lot of damage from falling off things either. 4e offers the very quick recovery period seen in the game. Both handle learning new manuevers and combat abilities well. Without a lot of magic, the game should be pretty easy to run.

FATE is a great system, but it seems to me pretty poorly suited to the combat centric model of the game. I'd use FATE for games with a heavy social RP or which were suited to a social as combat model. A game based on 'The Scarlett Pimpernell' would probably suggest FATE to me. Combat heavy games suggest D20 in some fashion.

BRP is another possibility that might work well.

Savage Worlds offers a light combat model and is good with large groups, but I'm not a big fan of the design. On the other hand, it seems like a system that rewards a skilled extemporaneous DM, so if you think you can handle the system well then I don't see a reason why not to go that route. And, Savage Worlds definately has Assassin's Creed 'whiff and ping' combat down.

Agamon

Adventurer
Savage Worlds offers a light combat model and is good with large groups, but I'm not a big fan of the design. On the other hand, it seems like a system that rewards a skilled extemporaneous DM, so if you think you can handle the system well then I don't see a reason why not to go that route. And, Savage Worlds definately has Assassin's Creed 'whiff and ping' combat down.

I agree. I recently asked the same thing for Mass Effect, and there has already been work done in both SWSE and SW.

I prefer the DM-on-the-fly method, myself, so Savage Worlds works best for the video game style of combat, in my opinion.

Celebrim

Legend
I agree. I recently asked the same thing for Mass Effect, and there has already been work done in both SWSE and SW.

I'm a pretty big fan of FASA 1e SW, and so that would be tempting for Mass Effect. I have to say that FATE would be pretty tempting for the Mass Effect universe as well, as Mass Effect strikes me as for more social in inclination than Assassin's Creed.

Though the in game system for ME is alot like 3e D20 to me. And the in game system for ME 2 reminded me a bit of 4e D20.

Agamon

Adventurer
I'm a pretty big fan of FASA 1e SW, and so that would be tempting for Mass Effect. I have to say that FATE would be pretty tempting for the Mass Effect universe as well, as Mass Effect strikes me as for more social in inclination than Assassin's Creed.

I dunno, the combat in ME is pretty tactical, so I'd personally like more chunky rules for that.

I haven't played AC:B, so I'm not sure how multiplayer combat works, but I think if I had to choose game to emulate with FATE, it'd be AC over ME.

Though the in game system for ME is alot like 3e D20 to me. And the in game system for ME 2 reminded me a bit of 4e D20.

Not grokking this. ME1 and ME2 have their differences, for sure, but the powers were powers in both. Maybe I just don't understand what you mean?

senna

First Post
I think that 7th sea would make a great match, with its rules for brute squads and its simple resolution system for skills.

If you have the time, creating new swordsman´s schools would make the diferentiation between character´s even more interesting.

innerdude

Legend

Having played Assassin's Creed 1 and 2 extensively, I'd actually probably go with GURPS. The general "feel" of the fighting and interaction just seems GURPS-ish to me--which is odd, considering I'm a big fan of Savage Worlds, and only moderately lukewarm about GURPS as a system.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'd probably use a low-power HERO campaign (Fantasy HERO, perhaps) with the Ultimate Martial Artists sourcebook handy.

Despite my general dislike for GURPS, I bet its gritty combat system would handle AC pretty damn well, though. So while I wouldn't run it in GURPS, I'd probably be all over someone's decision to run it in that system.

Remove ads