• D20Pro

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • Other (care to tell?)

Votes: 10 18.9%

• Poll closed .

jtolman3

First Post
Oh, Also there is the cost issue.

There are some VTTs out there I would consider using over maptools IF they had a good Mapping ability and they didn't Cost so much.

This is something I think those software developers have wrong for such a niche Market.

Take for instance Fantasy grounds.
2 draw backs here.
Either you have to require every player who ever wants to join your group to buy a license.... Which is a problem if people aren't sure they are going to enjoy the game or time/life factors come in and out causing players to drop out. They feel they wasted their money.

Or the GM Has to make a Large cash out lay ($150) in order to have a server that doesn't require the players to buy a License.
That large outlay is a draw back to many Gms. I think the developers end up Hurting themselves in the long run by Limiting who is willing/able to buy their software. Puts their software on a Pedestal that only Gms with a good amount of "disposable" cash are willing to afford.

There are theories in marketing that suggest that you need to find a Price range that reaches the most people while still making a good profit.

At $150 a Pop, the software developer might only sell to 1 out of every 100 gms (no real numbers here, just showing as an example.) But if they reduced that GM buy in, for the Ultimate License, to say $50, and now 4 out of every 100 Gms were willing to buy in, they just made more money than the previous cost was limiting them to.

Also, the advent of so many more "Free" VTTs will not allow such models to continue. Even if your Software is 10 times as Good as say, roll20 will ever be, people will go to the free zones.

Companies like Fantasy grounds need to consider what is going on in those areas and find new ways to bring in that money to cover development.

Selling Rule sets with Character sheets and GM tools for those games
Selling Modules with Maps tokens and the like included...
Selling Individual Maps and Tokens...
Those are where Roll20 is getting their coin.

Something to consider.

It's not out yet, but I'm really salivating for Storyscape to get done. You can read about its planned features here: http://slabtowngames.com/index.php/storyscape/system-features . There's plenty more information on the site too.

Only downside is that it will use its own in-house system. But on the other hand, that system sounds really cool. :) (Designed by Robin Laws to take advantage of the computer's ability to keep track of niggling details.)

Tom Strickland

First Post
I've used d20Pro for some Pathfinder Online Society games and was not impressed. In fact, I'd use the word "underwhelmed."

By way of contrast: I was "overwhelmed" with excitement the first time I took d20Pro for a test drive. I have subsequently used it for years with great enjoyment. I have configured/incorporated:

• Numerous campaigns
  • Full color, gridded maps
  • NPC's
  • Monsters
  • Abilities
  • Spells
  • Magic items (charges, at will, per day)
  • Monsters (leveled, mixed, classed, etc.)
  • Statuses/Effects
  • Handouts
  • Et cetera

Several players in more than one group I have DM'd online and in person (using a projector) have thoroughly enjoyed the deep and streamlined 3.5E simulation/play which allowed for much story and discovery in additional to sometimes multiple combats per few hour sessions.

Most VTT's will somehow enhance the D&D (and other) RPG experience, and so does d20Pro.

I LIKE it! :D

============
Edit: By the way, I happen to have full versions of several other commercial VTT's--along with multiple/ultimate/etc. license packs for players--aside from open source offerings. I LIKE them all, but I cannot use them all simultaneously, and so...

Last edited:

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Selling Rule sets with Character sheets and GM tools for those games
Selling Modules with Maps tokens and the like included...
Selling Individual Maps and Tokens...

FG does that as well.

I agree that the ultimate license is quite a bit too expensive. I got my normal player license cheaper through a bulk buy a site of mine made ot I wouldn't have bought it I think. But I really wanted into that one game...

jtolman3

First Post
FG does that as well.

I agree that the ultimate license is quite a bit too expensive. I got my normal player license cheaper through a bulk buy a site of mine made ot I wouldn't have bought it I think. But I really wanted into that one game...

I agree FG is a quality program, Used it at one time and 3 groups got together to buy up Licenses on discount.

But after a few months as players had to drop out, the group(s) got smaller and smaller and it became harder to find new players as those interested did not want to "buy in" Until about a year or so later we ended up dropping the program do to difficulties of "Entry requirements.)

Full Bleed

Explorer
Maptool Kickstarter

As this is a relatively new thread on VTT's--and a good deal of discussion regarding Maptool has gone on here--I thought I'd mentioned that there is currently a Kickstarter going on for a Maptool fork.

It aims to make the program more user friendly (since that's one of the biggest knocks against the current versions of MT) *and* add some really powerful features at the same time (dynamic sound, in program macro editor, optional lighting/animation effects, SQL database support, integrated graphical dice roller, and a headless server--just for phase 1).

And, most importantly, the program will still be OPEN SOURCE and FREE to all players and GM's. That is 100% of all features available and no cloud fees or subscriptions. You simply can not beat that.

I know that all of the phase 1 kickstarter features (beyond useabilty upgrades) may not appear to be important to the non-technical gamer, but believe me, it's better to have these features in MT than not. MT's strength has always rested on the innovation of the free community driven content and support. Giving them better tools to create that content while making the program more fun for players to use is a very positive step forward.

For those who have used Maptool for the last 7-8 years to play and run their table-top games online--this kickstart in development is just what the doctor ordered. For those that haven't, now might be a good time to get invested in a product that has a proven track record and is moving in the right direction for continued relevance over the next 7-8 years.

PS: Since I don't have a lot of posts on Enworld (though I've been a lurker for a lot longer than my 2010 join date indicates) it won't let me post links. But you can do a search on YouTube for "Maptool Mote" to get a quick video overview of the project and a link to the Kickstarter. Or you can PM me.

PSS: I'm not connected to the kickstarter in any way. I'm just a Maptool user who's been following the growth and development of the VTT industry since 2005. I've used online tools to run many games in the same span of time and just happen to believe that Maptool is the best of the bunch with a lot of room to get even better.

Remove ads