D&D 5E What the warlord needs in 5e and how to make it happen.

Corwin

Explorer
I can already see the hissyfits. "Cummon guys, I'm your captain! I chose this class for a reason. I'm supposed to be your leader! Your characters need to start doing what I say!"

mellored

Legend
I can already see the hissyfits. "Cummon guys, I'm your captain! I chose this class for a reason. I'm supposed to be your leader! Your characters need to start doing what I say!"
Let's call it "butler" then.
Batman_Arkham_Knight_Character_Bios_Alfred.jpg
You can name the abilities like...

On a Silver Platter: As an action, you serve up an attack on a silver platter. Allowing your gracious boss to make an attack as a reaction.
Serve Refreshments: As an action, you serve refreshments to an enemy. They can't attack very well with their hands full, and get disadvantage on their next turn.
Mend Cloths: During a short rest, you mend cloths and polish armor, giving everybody THP equal to your Butler level.
Well Done Sir: When an ally hits with an attack, you shout an encouragement, stroking the ego of your superior just when he needs it. He deals extra damage equal to your Charisma modifier.
Get Your House in Order: When you make a camp, you are adept at making it comfortable and well lit. Creatures have disadvantage on sneaking up on you and your party while resting.

I really don't care.

Last edited:

Corwin

Explorer

[...]

I really don't care.
But I believe plenty of warlord enthusiasts would be calling for your head if that ended up being it. I think a fair portion of avid warlord fans are in it for "reasons". So the good news is, the number of warlord fans would drop even more into complete non-relevance. Which makes the whole problem sorta go away. So at least your tongue-in-cheek idea would have that going for it. ;)

mellored

Legend
But I believe plenty of warlord enthusiasts would be calling for your head if that ended up being it. I think a fair portion of avid warlord fans are in it for "reasons". So the good news is, the number of warlord fans would drop even more into complete non-relevance. Which makes the whole problem sorta go away. So at least your tongue-in-cheek idea would have that going for it. ;)
I don't doubt a few people took warlord in order to be the "boss". But i don't think that's the majority.

Besides, those same players would have just taken the paladin instead. "I'm so charismatic that you all get a bonus just by being near me".

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
As a support character fan, I'd play a butler, its so much more interesting in term of play experience. It bothers me than the only thing people want from a non-magic support character is his combat abilties and the possibilities to grant even more damage to the party. I mean, combats last for only a few rounds (6 second each), only a few time in a day. Why would I want a character that's only useful support for 5 minutes a day. See, the bard is a support character that's useful in combat, but truely shines out of combat. The Butler could a least be the same. Lets call him the Aide.

Lvl 1: Expertise in 2 tools and 2 social skill. Brave in a pinch: prof with improvised weapons, deals 1d4 dmg.
2: Sir, if I may...: When an ally fails a skill check in a skill you are prof. allows a second chance. Enjoyable rest: recover 1 extra exhaustion level after a long rest.
3: Archetype: Squire (combat), Butler (Social), Messenger (Exploration, movement)

Tony Vargas

Legend
. It bothers me than the only thing people want from a non-magic support character is his combat abilties and the possibilities to grant even more damage to the party. I mean, combats last for only a few rounds (6 second each), only a few time in a day.
That is a good point. Support within the other two pillars - and in the context of downtime, for that matter - would be good.

Why would I want a character that's only useful support for 5 minutes a day.
There is the 'wake me when the fight starts' player stereotype, but I doubt it had a lot of crossover with fans of the Warlord.

For those who don't care to engage between combats, we already have some fairly traditional fighter options.

mellored

Legend
As a support character fan, I'd play a butler, its so much more interesting in term of play experience. It bothers me than the only thing people want from a non-magic support character is his combat abilties and the possibilities to grant even more damage to the party.
I don't believe that's the case.

Most of the homebrews I've seen have had expertise skills as well as a way to boost allies skills. Often with the help action (same as mastermind rogue).
As well as "securing encampment" which give a bonus to hide while resting.

Lvl 1: Expertise in 2 tools and 2 social skill. Brave in a pinch: prof with improvised weapons, deals 1d4 dmg.
2: Sir, if I may...: When an ally fails a skill check in a skill you are prof. allows a second chance. Enjoyable rest: recover 1 extra exhaustion level after a long rest.
That works too.

G

Guest 6801328

You can name the abilities like...

On a Silver Platter: As an action, you serve up an attack on a silver platter. Allowing your gracious boss to make an attack as a reaction.
Serve Refreshments: As an action, you serve refreshments to an enemy. They can't attack very well with their hands full, and get disadvantage on their next turn.
Mend Cloths: During a short rest, you mend cloths and polish armor, giving everybody THP equal to your Butler level.
Well Done Sir: When an ally hits with an attack, you shout an encouragement, stroking the ego of your superior just when he needs it. He deals extra damage equal to your Charisma modifier.
Get Your House in Order: When you make a camp, you are adept at making it comfortable and well lit. Creatures have disadvantage on sneaking up on you and your party while resting.

I really don't care.

Ha! I posted a "Butler" class with similar abiltiies on the old WotC boards. The other version I wrote up was "The Caddy". Abilities were things like "May I Suggest the Seven Iron, Sir?" and "Gin and Tonic, Sir?"

Remove ads