D&D 4E What third party products should be updated for 4E?

drothgery

First Post
I'm not going to make any specific suggestions here, but...

Take what sold well. Get rid of anything that sold well despite low quality because of good timing (a lot of early d20 stuff probably qualifies here). And get rid of anything that makes no sense given 4e mechanics (which we won't know until WotC has put more out than they have to date). That'll be the long list of what should be updated to 4e.

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
Nothing should be updated in a new print format, but it would be nice if these publishers would release a PDF errata at their own leasure for 4th edition conversion.

Nahat Anoj

First Post
William Ronald said:
Green Ronin's Testament: Biblical adventures that were well done, with information on several ancient cultures.
This could be interesting - in fact, the ancient world was pretty PoL. The world is ruled by a crumbling, corrupt empire, barbarian hordes lurk at the margins of civilization, vast tracts of land are unexplored, etc. :)

Voadam

Legend
Aristotle said:
I think less about products and more about mechanics that I've seen in one or more places that truly add something to the game. For instance: Iron Heroes' combat maneuvers that make martial characters as fun as arcane/divine ones. We've seen evidence that some version of that is making the core. Other mechanics I'd like to see updated...

Leveled/Legacy Weapons
Skirmish and Mass Combat
Economic (commerce, castle building, so on)

I didn't see any economic ones worth using in 3e/3.5. Any products in particular you thought were nice enough you wanted to see them updated?

Stormborn

Explorer
William Ronald said:
Green Ronin's Testament: Biblical adventures that were well done, with information on several ancient cultures.

The next issue of Targum will contain a guide for the offical GR apporved 3.5 conversion material. That should make it easier in the long run to do it your self in need be.

I would actually prefer to see few (if any) of those products updated to 4e, William Ronald. Most of them are not D&D per se, but are variant systems built around the d20 engine. Updating them accomplishes... what exactly? The system already isn't D&D, so there's no need. Arcana Unearthed in particular doesn't need another update. In fact, it didn't need the one it got. I'm still ticked off that I ran off and bought Arcana Unearthed only to have Arcana Evolved supercede it in short order. WTF? No thanks. The system worked just fine as it was, and the updates aren't based on any percieved need of the system to be improved, but rather on a percieved need to make updates because 3e was moving to 3.5. Doing this again for 4e, unless there's some significant improvement and update to the system, is a waste of effort. Hamunaptra and Testament are in the same boat.

Freeport, which you mention, is at least a D&D setting. However, since the latest Freeport product is systemless, it's essentially already updated to 4e as it is. I guess there's still an issue around what the d20 support book will look like (based on the 3.5 SRD, or the 4e one, or two books; one for each, etc.)

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
jasonbostwick said:
Though Monte already shot down any hope of an official Ptolus conversion to 4e in this forum post, I'll definitely be following/contributing to any fan-based project to convert parts of the setting to 4e.

Bah, he is human, and thus can be lured back to the fold eventually with cool stuff and shiny objects...

Aristotle

First Post
Voadam said:
I didn't see any economic ones worth using in 3e/3.5. Any products in particular you thought were nice enough you wanted to see them updated?

Honestly, I'm not in love with any product that covers any of the 3 rule systems I mentioned. I'm mostly hoping to see the concepts kept alive and reworked into new, better, products rather than simply updating the old products I've already decided I wasn't fond of.

Remove ads