• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What to do with the old 3.0 books?

Malin Genie

First Post
I'm about to move house and going to be seriously short on shelf space. I have a reasonable collection of 3.0E material (Core Books, class books, 3.0 PsiHB, ELH) which I don't think I'm really likely to use much anymore - I play pretty much 3.5E now (without comment as to whether it was an improvement or not ;) )

So I'm wondering what to do with the 3.0 books. They're not in good enough condition to be 'collectable' in any real sense, but I don't really want to just bin them.

Any suggestions? Donate to the local library?

Thanee

First Post
Hand them to a random kid on the street?

Start up a foundation for freebie roleplaying books for those who cannot afford them?

Pick up the phonebook, open it at a random page, point your finger down with eyes closed, then look at the name and find out the address and send them there with no back address. ;)

Well, or you could donate them to the public library. :)

Sorry, don't have any good idea about what to do with them...

Maybe this one...

Find a store in your vincinity (maybe you know one already), which has a bulletin board for messages and leave a note there, that you give the books away for free, with some way to contact you.

Bye
Thanee

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
I gave my core books to the library. Sadly, they sold 'em rather than shelving them, but they weren't in the best condition so that was to be expected. I kept my sourcebooks, updating small stuff isn't very hard and I'm not using much.

Turanil

First Post
I can see a lot of bad advice here! :p

Thanee said:
Hand them to a random kid on the street?
Okay, you don't live in the US, so... But in the U.S. never do that! You could be arrested / imprisoned / sued / etc., for attempting to turn an innocent child to the worship of the Devil. So an idea to immediately forget, this should seem obvious! ;) :D

Thanee said:
Start up a foundation for freebie roleplaying books for those who cannot afford them?
You will also have to donate for the place where those people will seek out the books available, and the person whose job will be to be there to give the books to those persons. 30,000$ per year, no less. ;) :D

Thanee said:
Pick up the phonebook, open it at a random page, point your finger down with eyes closed, then look at the name and find out the address and send them there with no back address. ;)
Chances being what they are, you may well send them to Jack Chick, or at least someone who doesn't care in the least for rpg (and probably find them stupid). ;) :D

So my suggestion: Ask on Enworld if some poor gamer (maybe living in a country where rpg books are extremely expensive; like in South America), would be interested in getting the books at only the shipping cost to send them by mail.

BTW: I have also several 3.0 books (all in excellent shape) that I don't know what to do with, trying to sell them or keep them for collection... :confused:

Last edited:

Keeper of Secrets

First Post
I kept mine because my group still plays 3.0. I realize that does not help you much. Though I suppose you could take them to a swap meet or something similar or you could keep one around as a group book for some kind of basic information such as some of the charts and spell descriptions.

If none of this advice works just pitch them.

Ghostwind

First Post
I would suggest donating them to your local library but go in and ask them first. Tell them exactly what you have and ask them if they would make use of them. Stress that you feel it is very important that the books are made available for checkout to people who cannot afford to buy them. Most libraries' gaming sections are so small, they will probably be happy to take them.

sjmiller

Explorer
Malin Genie said:
So I'm wondering what to do with the 3.0 books. They're not in good enough condition to be 'collectable' in any real sense, but I don't really want to just bin them.

Any suggestions?
If I were being particularly greedy I would tell you to figure out the cost of shipping them to the US, let me know, and I would consider buying them. Some of us still use 3.0, and the books are becoming harder to find.

Caius

First Post
if you have a big group and only one set of core books keep the 3.0 stuff for the other players to look up magic items or spells because a lot of the stuff is the same.

we only have one set of 3.5 and those belong to the dm. well I have a 3.5 players handbook but the other three players don't own any. so the old 3.0 stuff comes in handy when everyone wants to look up magic items at the same time, or spells, and the dm just makes sure everything matches up with 3.5

Jamdin

Explorer
Take them to either a thrift store or a used book store. I rescued a Classic D&D boxed set from the local thrift store a few weeks ago. It was not in great shape but it still had the dice and wax crayon. Also, think about donating them to places like Hospice and the Salvation Army.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads