What type of regular columns would you like to see on EN World?

Choose any or all!

• Opinion Pieces: Industry

Votes: 60 66.7%
  • Opinion Pieces: Gaming

Votes: 67 74.4%
  • Gaming Advice

Votes: 56 62.2%
  • Crunchy Game Material

Votes: 27 30.0%
  • Serialized Fiction

Votes: 16 17.8%
  • Comedy (comic strips, etc.)

Votes: 47 52.2%

nedjer

Adventurer
The sooner we get more erotic fantasy fiction on the site the better.

But seriously, the earlier post about 'there's too much opinion' should be more like 'there's too much of the same opinion'. The basic model of RPGs as mainly monster bashing has hardly changed for decades, how many 'how to be a good DM' posts can the world create; and can we please, finally, admit that 4e really is a good game for people who like crunchy battle games.

Morrus (respect) you might be interested in getting some of your guys to explore the opinions/ angle going into the blog at Thistle Games. We're into getting parents, teachers, librarians and kids into RPGs. We've a bit of a USP (though we don't charge) because we've a tame academic who works on active learning and gaming, which lets us keep our claims about the benefits of RPGs scientific.

There's plenty of opinion and science to be discussed about getting more players into RPGs, what RPGs have to offer kids and families, . . .

nedjer

Adventurer
Judging by the rush of positive replies I didn't explain myself well, or you'd rather go to the dentist than read about:

how RPGs reach a wider market?
how to get RPGS into schools and libraries?
what factors made it easy for you to learn RPGs (people or games)?
what makes it safe and easy to run a group for kids?
how to get RPGs to cashless players?
what to avoid when designing games for kids?
moving from boardgames to RPGs?
RPGing on the cheap (maximum quality with minimum cost)?
how to persuade publishers to think about the match between players' using certain skills and good gameplay?
bridging the gap between kids and glossy rules heavy systems at the design stage?
using character/ fantasy drawing, CCGs or figure painting to introduce RPGs?
how to put content and artwork into the hands/ under the control of young players?

OK - not everyone's cup of tea but maybe a lot to do with why tabletop RPGs are niche and largely operates round a 30 year old design model that sustains a 'One Ring to Rule Them All' industry. (That's not a dig at 4e; there's nothing wrong with rules heavy systems for rules heavy players). But, dared I say it, AD&D e next, might be more novel/ experimental if publishers look to future markets instead of 35+ committed gamers with cash in their wallets?

pawsplay

Hero
Crunch articles are likely too specific. Even 4e-specific crunch would probably hit, what, 60% of the posters here as possibly relevant? Everything from 3.5 to Pathfinder on down gets smaller and smaller. A Labyrinth Lord column would be fascinating once in a while, but not really actually that useful to most people.

My strongest suggestions would be for:
- History, including nostalgia by pillars of the industry
- Links to product reviews by formal staff (not that amateur reviews aren't great, it would just be nice to anchor some of the opinions on a skilled review and try to stay current on significant new releases)
- General rantiness by anyone entertaining
- Gaming stuff, but not just "gaming tips blah blah blah," more along the line of complete articles on group cohesion or design philosophy or even critical theory

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I come here for the crunch mostly, since this community is one of the few places where I can get useful and interesting content for more than just a single edition of a single game. So I would love to see a regular crunch section devoted to non-mainstream games.

I don't think I would get much use out of yet another internet opinion column or review article. And I like pawsplay's suggestion of "gaming stuff."

Last edited:

lotuseater

Explorer
i am most enthusiastically in support of serialized fiction, and i'm surprised it got the lowest response. it seems to me that free fiction, especially if it is of high quality, would appeal to everyone.

i've been thinking that we are about to see a return of serialized fiction. in the nineteenth century, it was a common practice. with the diffusion of media in the internet age, the popularity of blogging, and the decline of the publishing industry, i think we will find it will become more and more popular again.

pawsplay

Hero
i am most enthusiastically in support of serialized fiction, and i'm surprised it got the lowest response. it seems to me that free fiction, especially if it is of high quality, would appeal to everyone.

What do you think gamers have in common in terms of taste in reading? I've seen posts recently by people who don't enjoy Vance, Tolkien, Moorcock, Pratchett. What kind of fiction by Joe Internet is going to appeal to gamers, keeping in mind this is not a Fantasy/SF fan site per se?

lotuseater

Explorer
What do you think gamers have in common in terms of taste in reading? I've seen posts recently by people who don't enjoy Vance, Tolkien, Moorcock, Pratchett. What kind of fiction by Joe Internet is going to appeal to gamers, keeping in mind this is not a Fantasy/SF fan site per se?

as you mentioned below, perhaps 60% of the people here play 4ed. plus all the 3.5ed and other fantasy rpg. that's a pretty significant chunk of people who would likely be into fantasy fiction.

i for one would read any genre, as long as it's got a good story and good characters. i am guessing most people would be of the same mind. of course, nothing is going to appeal to everyone.

my point is just to say, i think the trend in story telling is going to be a shift away from published novels, even e-novels, towards serials and other mix-media forms. it would be cool to see some of that here.

kiznit

Explorer
Other things I'd like besides what I voted for.

A day in the life of ENWorld, a kind of summary of what is going on in the forums. A short paragraph or sentence or two for each subforum about what the heck is going on and what it is all about and what it all means. Sometimes I'm clueless, sometimes I'm too busy to keep up, sometimes It would be cool to see an insiders perspective.
I'll second this - though I'll note that I'm more of a casual lurker than I hardcore ENWorld participant. But for casual lurkers like me, having a few "check out these conversations!" links in the newsletter may help me contribute more.

Jack7

First Post
and personalities of real-world myth legend (Greek, Norse, and much more).

That would swing high by me.

I intend to continue to increase EN World's exclusive content with further columns and articles, and this poll is to determine what sort of thing you'd like to see.

Exclusive and original content always beats just going over the old stuff with a whippin broom.

I'd choose all in your poll. Matter of fact, I did. I'd be least inclined to the industry stuff, but then again I've never been much of a company man.

A coupla other things I might find real interesting. Things from real life that can effect or inspire your gaming. And trivia. Little know or obscure facts.

Also you might consider broadening your audience by narrowing down your focus a little. On some things anyway. Depends on the angle you wanna take I reckon, but me personally I wouldn't set out my writing stable with all fillies, or all Clydesdales, or all Palominos. I'd make sure that not only did the content vary, so did the express service. You don't wanna bunch of one trick ponies who all prance to the same count. You want drafthorses and showhorses and workhorses and herders and trick ponies. If all of your writers look and sound the same then you might as well just have one writer covering all the bases. So if I have any advice on your stable, it's this: get variety. You wanna quick in-field and you wanna a deep outfield.

Also will the articles, columns, material, work, etc. be able to be commented upon?

On the internet it seems to me you generate more market the more open the opus is to being openly discussed.
It's just an observation. I'd also carefully track, assuming this idea hasn't occurred to you yet (and I assume it has cause of your experience), every piece put up and especially every on-going feature. You wanna dump or refocus the non-productive stuff pretty quick and then exploit and up then up-the-ante on your best stuff lippity-lop.

They're proper paid writing gigs. So I'm pretty selective!

In writing that beats being selectively pretty. Well, most of the time anyways.

In any case good luck and Godspeed.
Let's see what you folks have got.

lotuseater

Explorer
Depends on the angle you wanna take I reckon, but me personally I wouldn't set out my writing stable with all fillies, or all Clydesdales, or all Palominos. I'd make sure that not only did the content vary, so did the express service. You don't wanna bunch of one trick ponies who all prance to the same count. You want drafthorses and showhorses and workhorses and herders and trick ponies. If all of your writers look and sound the same then you might as well just have one writer covering all the bases. So if I have any advice on your stable, it's this: get variety. You wanna quick in-field and you wanna a deep outfield.

To continue the mixed metaphor, you might even want to include a cow, a couple of chickens, and a few pinch runners. These last may be of any barnyard species.

Remove ads