What Virtual Tabletop Software options exist?

Rechan

Adventurer
What programs are out there to handle tabletop online, and which are Good? I mean, WotC was talking about their own years ago, but I never heard much about it.

My old standby has been MapTools, but it's a bit of a pain to design stuff and their Looking For forums seem rather quiet. I'm curious what else is out there.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The two major ones are Fantasy Grounds (which is also the officially licensed D&D one) and Roll20 (which has over a million users).

the_redbeard

Explorer
I used maptool for years and thought it rocked. It had features in 2008 that Fantasy Grounds does not yet have. Dynamic Lighting? Awesome improvement to how your players see (literally) their tactical options. My players really were afraid of the dark.

Today some of the makers of maptool are creating new services for their 2nd generation that will allow clients even from Android and Ipad tablets, as well as Macs. No more PC only software.

Their kickstarter is here:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/740970397/sandstorm-virtual-tabletop-services?ref=users

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Roll20 does everything I need and more. For free. It gets really cool when you start paying for it. It's very point-and-click and drag-and-drop.

Rechan

Adventurer
Maptools was my goto for years, but multiple parts of it tedious. Frameworks and saving issues and connectivity. Also the community looks really quiet, at least for the "looking for group" part.

Roll20 does everything I need and more. For free. It gets really cool when you start paying for it. It's very point-and-click and drag-and-drop.
Yeah, the more I look at it, the more I like it. I DO find it weird that it's in-browser, rather than a program itself. FG looks slick and fancy but I don't know.

I may try to noodle around with Roll20, run a one-shot delve or two, to get the feel of it.

Last edited:

Nylanfs

Adventurer
There's a free 24hr gaming event on Dec 5th called FG-Daze. Why not see if you can get in on a game? Or watch some of the streams that will be going on.

Steel_Wind

Legend
My preferred VTT - and I have tried them all -- is far and away d20Pro.

It has the best support and mapping options. It's power uses are deep, without the installation problems that Maptool has. Its robust support for Pathfinder and (later this month) Syrinscape also makes it a winner. It used best in conjunction with Herolab.

d20Pro costs money. It's not free. You get what you pay for.

Remove ads