D&D 5E What We Know About Tasha's Cauldron Of Everything

This is a short summary of various things we've learned so far about the upcoming Tasha's Cauldron of Everything.

This is a short summary of various things we've learned so far about the upcoming Tasha's Cauldron of Everything.

pa0sjX8Wgx.jpg

WHAT WONDERFUL WITCHERY IS THIS?

A magical mixture of rules options for the world's greatest roleplaying game.

The wizard Tasha, whose great works include the spell Tasha’s hideous laughter, has gathered bits and bobs of precious lore during her illustrious career as an adventurer. Her enemies wouldn’t want these treasured secrets scattered across the multiverse, so in defiance, she has collected and codified these tidbits for the enrichment of all.
  • EXPANDED SUBCLASSES. Try out subclass options for every Dungeons & Dragons class, including the artificer, which appears in the book.
  • MORE CHARACTER OPTIONS. Delve into a collection of new class features and new feats, and customize your character’s origin using straightforward rules for modifying a character’s racial traits.
  • INTRODUCING GROUP PATRONS. Whether you're part of the same criminal syndicate or working for an ancient dragon, each group patron option comes with its own perks and types of assignments.
  • SPELLS, ARTIFACTS & MAGIC TATTOOS. Discover more spells, as well as magic tattoos, artifacts, and other magic items for your campaign.
  • EXPANDED RULES OPTIONS. Try out rules for sidekicks, supernatural environments, natural hazards, and parleying with monsters, and gain guidance on running a session zero.
  • A PLETHORA OF PUZZLES. Ready to be dropped into any D&D adventure, puzzles of varied difficulty await your adventurers, complete with traps and guidance on using the puzzles in a campaign.
Full of expanded content for players and Dungeon Masters alike, this book is a great addition to the Player's Handbook and the Dungeon Master’s Guide. Baked in you'll find more rule options for all the character classes in the Player's Handbook, including more subclass options. Thrown in for good measure is the artificer class, a master of magical invention. And this witch's brew wouldn't be complete without a dash of added artifacts, spellbook options, spells for both player characters and monsters, magical tattoos, group patrons, and other tasty goodies.

Vael

Legend
While I can sympathize with not "wanting to pay twice" from completionists that own every book, I can even empathize, as I own Eberron and Theros, I am more in favour of not forcing players to buy multiple non-core books. 3.5 and 4e were rife with books that were almost useless to players if this was their first non-core book. I also like that Tasha's and Xanathar's are more setting-neutral ways to push a lot of new material to gamers. If you play home-brew settings, Theros, Ravnica or Eberron might not provide much of note for you, so reprinting and collating that material in Tasha's is a net win.

I've been away from this thread for a while, what are the "bad things" that are going to be in Tasha's?

The only controversial things I'm aware of are the reprinted material and some of the stuff from the the variant class features Unearthed Arcana.

Well, okay, one thing from the VCF UA: the ability to exchange one learned spell each day for spells-known classes (Ranger, Sorcerer, Bard, etc.). Because "you could completely change your spells known in a week". Because apparently that's a thing players do? Pick all terrible spells in the game and then want to change all of them? And then want to wait a week before they do something else so they can change all of them again? (Obviously, I think it's a tempest in a teacup.)

There is a VCF feature for Rangers to replace Natural Explorer (IIRC) that lets the Ranger cure exhaustion faster. Some people said that was a potential issue with Berzerker. My feeling is that Berzerker's Frenzy should just be limited to once a day and not have a false choice of unlimited-but-with-exhaustion added to it.

Of course, Helldritch could be referring to the optional character creation rules...

Maybe, but unless you're planning to never buy another D&D book again it's going to be hard to avoid those rules. This change is a culture shift in the hobby. It's not going away and it won't be limited one one book.

I imagine some people really will never buy another book again, of course.

Khelon Testudo

Cleric of Stronmaus
Hmm. Maybe. I can't see how it will change things mechanically going forward. Any new races might have a note directing to the optional rules? Since they are optional, I can't see racial characteristics not including bonus to abilities in main products. Bad guys may not default to orcs or goblins.

Remove ads

Remove ads