5E Two Subclasses from Tasha for Barbarian and Warlock

Russ Morrissey

Comments

MarkB

Legend
Still not keen on the wild magic barbarian. They could at least have provided a tweaked Wild Magic Surge table - as it is, there are at least four options on there that have no effect if you don't have any levels in a spellcasting class.

EDIT: Totally failed to notice that they did in fact do that.

Last edited:

Crimson Longinus

Adventurer
I like thew wild magic barbarian aside the magic sensing ability. That ties rather weakly on the theme and at-will magic detection is a tad annoying in play. I get that this is rather out there for a barbarian, but it fits more magical species well. I think I make this an elfling-only barbarian subclass in my setting.

I still don't like the genie warlock. I want to like it, the basic concept is definitely something I'd like to use, but the whole portable minihouse in the vessel as a low level basic ability just is way too goofy for my tastes.

Laurefindel

Adventurer
The one thing that caught my attention - and this may already the case for digital content, IDK - is how the feature's level is written directly below the feature's name. No more "When you reach 6th level in this class, you..."

I wonder if that is the format that will be used from now on.

Anyone notice something like that from the RotFM unboxing?

[edit] oh yeah, and d3. That one surprised me.

pukunui

Hero
The one thing that caught my attention - and this may already the case for digital content, IDK - is how the feature's level is written directly below the feature's name. No more "When you reach 6th level in this class, you..."

I wonder if that is the format that will be used from now on.
Yes, it seems like that's the new format. That's how the new subclasses in the Wildemount book were presented, and it's how they've been doing it all through the past year's UA articles.

MarkB

Legend
I like thew wild magic barbarian aside the magic sensing ability. That ties rather weakly on the theme and at-will magic detection is a tad annoying in play.
It's not at-will. It's 'number of uses equal to your proficiency bonus' per long rest - and each use only lasts one round.

Crimson Longinus

Adventurer
It's not at-will. It's 'number of uses equal to your proficiency bonus' per long rest - and each use only lasts one round.
Oh right! That lessens the being annoying part, but I think it is still a bit thematically weak for the style of the class. I'm not sure that 'magic detector' meshes so well with the chaos theme of the rest of class.

COMING SOON: 5 Plug-In Settlements for your 5E Game

Advertisement1

COMING SOON: 5 Plug-In Settlements for your 5E Game

Advertisement2

Advertisement4