D&D (2024) What's the future of Xanathar and Tasha? (+)

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I expect the future to be similar to 3.5 - I don't mean that in a divisive, "what is an edition" way. Just that when the 3.5 core books came out the players were already used to a greater degree character creation/advancement options and so many tables took existing 3ed splatbook material, tweaked it to work with the new core books, and continued to use it until it was eventually replaced, assuming it was. After the 3.5 core books, the new splatbooks did not follow the previous books exactly, often having both new and updated options in the books, leaving some options to die on the vine, or be fodder for later splatbooks.

I think we'll see things differ even more from the 3.5 model in terms of contents. The "Of Everything" books often were a best-of the character creations from setting books that would do well in other games, but I expect we'll see a demand for them sooner rather than multiple campaign-settings later. Plus the 2024 PHB has had a number of cleric and wizard domains cut that I also think will make a reappearance soon, so my expectation is we will have the first new book primarily focused on character creation/advancement in 2025, a "PHB2" version of Tasha's/Xanathar's.

Ten years into 5e, the game has matured, but it has also lost it's initial luster from when it was "the new hotness". While some tables will likely play with just core books (2024) (as WotC is calling them on their covers), my guess would be that many or perhaps even most tables will not want to shrink their options and as such will continue to use them for now and/or demand new/updated ones be available soon.

JEB

Legend
I called out the Wildmount designed ones as I kind of feel they are more 3pp and not as likely to be updated.
I wonder if they'll permit/encourage Mercer to do his own 2024 updates to Wildemount material. (I assume they would much rather he keep boosting the current edition, obviously.)

The Players Companion. I think it will be a single new book that brings elements of the older books up to speed with 2024 rules. Those older books may eventually go out of print.

Last edited:

Remathilis

Legend
I wonder if they'll permit/encourage Mercer to do his own 2024 updates to Wildemount material. (I assume they would much rather he keep boosting the current edition, obviously.)
Always possible. I'd love for them to collaborate and make an Exandria PC options book that includes all the dunamancy, blood magic (including a 24 compatible blood hunter) and other subs using Mercers ideas but balanced using the full WotC development team.

Remathilis

Legend
I also don't rule out any of the following products:

A Multiverse guide that updates several options from the setting specific books (such as the Ravenloft subs or Eberron species)

A new Eberron book focused on a different area like Xen'drik or an AP set in Eberron that updates dragon marks and species options in it.

A Forgotten Realms update book with some options updated from Realms APs and SCAG.

Basically, lacing new books with some updated info to entice people to buy them, rather than dump everything into a one book update.

Li Shenron

Legend

So, what you think it will be the future of those books?.

They already belong to a terminated edition. All DMs switching to the 5.5e core books will sooner or later disallow books from 5e, players will all start from 5.5e core material which already includes reprints/updates from 5e supplements. Then just like 3e/3.5e we will see fans of subclasses which didn't make it to 5.5e asking WotC to publish updated versions of them, so that we could all buy the same material again and have an "official 5.5e conversion".

I don't think WotC keeps printing books when an edition ends. But maybe after many years they could pick some notable title and reprint it, if there will be enough nostalgics who missed it or lost it.

Parmandur

Book-Friend, he/him
A new Eberron book focused on a different area like Xen'drik or an AP set in Eberron that updates dragon marks and species options in it.

A Forgotten Realms update book with some options updated from Realms APs and SCAG.
Depending on how well Spelljammer and Planescape sold (indications last I checked were "very well" despite the mixed reception of Spelljammer among the Enfranchised fanbase), I could see thise Settings getting similar slipcase, with Setting overview books with some updates, targeted Bestiary books, and very Setting specific shorter Adventures.

So, for Eberron, a Xen'drik slipcase detailing that continent (which is by nature sketch and open to exploration) along with updates to Dragonmarks and such (I could see some "Construct-only" Backgrounds and Level 1 Feats), a book full of weird Eberron specific Mobsters (easy enough), and a hexvrael full of pulpy secret society and cold wR intrigue with Stormreach as a base.

Fir FR, a slipcase focused on the Eastern Heartlands would make a lot of sense.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
I suspect we will see updates to the material from those books. There will be a 5.5E Bladesinger, for instance. Will that be happening anytime soon? Don't know, but probably not. In the meantime, I'm actually playing a Bladesinger in an existing campaign, so I intend to keep right on using it until the game ends (and we're at 16th level, so not too much further to go). I'm going to say the same thing with, say, the Sword Bard or Hexblade or other subclasses that aren't represented in the new books. Heck, the Artificier class will probably be in the same category.

We haven't seen the full rules yet, so I have no idea how difficult that will actually be. August isn't that far off, is it?

Remove ads