D&D (2024) What's the future of Xanathar and Tasha? (+)

So, what you think it will be the future of those books? They will still be printed as is, or just sold until stocks remains and then a new book will be issued? And then, you think WotC will combine both books in one or make two new books with also new content?
Its very likely that they will stop making new print runs once they announce the first player options expansion book for 5.5e, which will most likely have most/all of the old content not in the PHB updated to the new format.

I imagine they won't stop printing/selling before that point unless sales drop substantially.

MotM will likely be reprinted as-is regardless.

The larger point for is that the old Subclasses will be usable from across published 5E books. So nothing is being intentionally broken.
Yeah, I get that - in fact they changed their approach to increase backwards compatibility. I'll still be interested to see how true it actually is though. Just a lot of stuff that might or might not have changed.

Chaltab

Adventurer
Yeah that's what I meant by "define soon". To me, 2027 is "soon" in the slow-ass world of TT RPG publishing! To you it ain't. But yeah it's not going to happen this year and probably not early next.
I mean that's true for most TTRPGs but 5E has been glacial compared to previous D&D. In 4E they had 43 WOTC-published hardcovers in 4 years; by the end of this year 5E will have 49 after 10 years.

Remathilis

Legend
All subclasses not updated

Barbarian
Ancestral Guardian(XG)
Storm Herald(XG)
Beast(TC)
Wild Soul(TC)
Battlerager(SC)

Bard
College of Creation(TC)
College of Swords(XG)
College of Whispers(XG)
College of Eloquence(TC)
College of Spirits(RL)

Cleric

Knowledge Domain(PH)
Nature Domain(PH)
Tempest Domain(PH)
Death Domain(DM)
Twilight Domain(TC)
Order Domain(TC)
Forge Domain(XG)
Grave Domain(XG)
Peace Domain(TC)
Arcane Domain(SC)

Druid
Circle of Dreams(XG)
Circle of the Shepherd(XG)
Circle of Spores(TC)
Circle of Wildfire(TC)

Fighter
Arcane Archer(XG)
Cavalier(XG)
Samurai(XG)
Rune Knight(TC)
Echo Fighter(WM) - Mercer designed and probably not getting updated
Purple Dragon Knight(SC)

Monk
Way of the Astral Self(TC)
Way of the Drunken Master(XG)
Way of the Kensei(XG)
Way of the Sun Soul(XG)
Way of Long Death(SC)
Way of the Ascendant Dragon (FD)

Paladin
Oathbreaker(DM)
Oath of Conquest(XG)
Oath of Redemption(XG)
Oath of the Watchers(TC)
Oath of the Crown(SC)

Ranger
Swarmkeeper(TC)
Horizon Walker(XG)
Monster Slayer(XG)
Drakewarden (FD)

Rogue
Inquisitive(XG)
Mastermind(XG)
Scout(XG)
Swashbuckler(XG)
Phantom(TC)

Sorcerer
Divine Soul(XG)
Shadow Magic(XG)
Storm Sorcery(XG)
Lunar Magic (DL)

Warlock
Undying(SC)
The Hexblade(XG)
The Fathomless(TC)
The Genie(TC)
The Undead(RL)

Wizard
School of Conjuration(PH)
School of Enchantment(PH)
School of Necromancy(PH)
School of Transmutation(PH)
School of Graviturgy(WM) - Mercer designed
School of Chronurgy(WM) - Mercer designed
War Magic(XG)
Bladesinging(TC)
Order of Scribes(TC)

I called out the Wildmount designed ones as I kind of feel they are more 3pp and not as likely to be updated. The rest all have a decent shot, but my money would be a new book would probably update no more than four at a time.

Parmandur

Book-Friend, he/him
I mean that's true for most TTRPGs but 5E has been glacial compared to previous D&D. In 4E they had 43 WOTC-published hardcovers in 4 years; by the end of this year 5E will have 49 after 10 years.
And that has worked out very well. That feels less like "5E has glacialnreleases" and more like "4E blew out a decade of product in 4 years."

Chaltab

Adventurer
And that has worked out very well. That feels less like "5E has glacial releases" and more like "4E blew out a decade of product in 4 years."
Yes but previous editions like 3E and TSR D&D also had loads and loads of supplements and rules expansions. Like, settings didn't get a single book or box set but an entire line of products. Overproducing stuff they couldn't sell is part of what made TSR go bankrupt.

So I agree that it's economically more sound for both players and the company to slow things down as they are, not saying they should go back. But I can understand why some people feel 2027 is a very long wait for updates to existing subclasses.

Parmandur

Book-Friend, he/him
Yes but previous editions like 3E and TSR D&D also had loads and loads of supplements and rules expansions. Like, settings didn't get a single book or box set but an entire line of products. Overproducing stuff they couldn't sell is part of what made TSR go bankrupt.

So I agree that it's economically more sound for both players and the company to slow things down as they are, not saying they should go back. But I can understand why some people feel 2027 is a very long wait for updates to existing subclasses.
Fair point! No doubt a big part if why they designed with backwards compatibility in mind.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I don't think that WotC is going to stop printing Xanathar's or Tasha's and reprint them with updated rules. Or heavily errata them to update the rules to the new design philosophy. It is possible that older subclasses could be reprinted in future books (setting guides they'd fit in, Xanathar's 3.0) and given updated rules, but I think WotC will just let the older subclasses be options for the new core rules. There are very few rule changes that could cause issues with classes and subclasses.

Remove ads