D&D (2024) What's the future of Xanathar and Tasha? (+)

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Welcome to a sort of edition change. Those old books will be good dust collectors.
What parts of the 5E14 books did you actually think you were going to use?

These were three new core rulebooks. Everything was going to be reprinted. Why wouldn't you expect to no longer need to use the older books for much of anything?

Of course, a whole lot of players still WILL use the 5E14 books if there are any subclasses that aren't brought forward that they want to use, so they won't be collecting dust after all.

Parmandur

Book-Friend, he/him
What parts of the 5E14 books did you actually think you were going to use?

These were three new core rulebooks. Everything was going to be reprinted. Why wouldn't you expect to no longer need to use the older books for much of anything?

Of course, a whole lot of players still WILL use the 5E14 books if there are any subclasses that aren't brought forward that they want to use, so they won't be collecting dust after all.
Old Subclasses, a variety of Species, Feats (particularly from the more recent books, thise that are clearly 2024 Feats meant to he used with the new rules, like the Giant and Rune stuff in Bigby or the Planar stuff in Planescape).

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
I anticipate we'll either get a streamlined Character Rules Expansion book that combines some options like Death and Grave Domain or Undying and Undead Patrons, some options will be left out entirely, but most Rules Expansion options (and the missing Core Rules subclasses for Cleric and Wizard, but not Oathbreaker Paladin) will be carried over. I imagine some options like Hexblade will be more or less invalidated by core class features (I imagine Pact of the Blade will be a bit more robust in the finished PHB 5.2), but and they'll want to limit overlapping archetypes within the same class (ex. Banneret and Cavalier and Samurai for example all represent Knightly Warlords/Marshals archetypes within the Fighter and may be represented better with the expanded Battle Master options).

Alternatively, they slow drip them out so that they have time to UA the revisions to these other options and not just serve them up as is. Some options are probably near perfect (Swashbuckler Rogue, I'm looking at you; probably only cut for the sake of giving another Psionic option in the core rules). Other options probably need a lot more work and refinement.

I imagine to see updates to subclasses akin to the changes between 3.0e books like "Spells & Silence" -> 3.5e Complete Arcane. Not that I think this is a new edition, mind you, just that WotC has an incentive to sell us the errata in as many different books as possible first before giving us the compiled version. Especially now that you can't buy piecemeal options on D&D Beyond.

Umm, I don't see how that's an issue. They don't get standard spells so the details take a bit of space. 🤷‍♂️
100% with you on this. The Rune Knight is an excellent subclass and it's actually extremely cool that it has real and interesting rules, not just a couple of "X spell 1/day"-type deals. More of that, not less of that! I literally will pay WotC! Money! Dollar bills!

Parmandur

Book-Friend, he/him
So, Christian Hoffer has confirmed directly with WotC that 2014 Subclasses will work on 2024 Base Classes. Given that we already know thst there is a sidebar explaining how to use older book Species and Backgrounds, it seems likely there will be an explanation for Subclass integration (like for Clerics getting rheir stuff at 3rd). As such, I seriously doubt Xanathar's and Tasha's will be directly retired anytime soon.

Screenshot_20240620_230328_Chrome.jpg

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
What's wrong with the Rune Knight? I played one, it was fun. Admittedly I didn't get to play it a ton but I didn't see any major issues.
Some people see issues that others don't see- one of my players has been playing a Rune Knight from 1-9 and thinks it's very poorly designed and so weirdly overpowered once you hit 7. He also looked ahead to tier 3-4 and, compared to most other fighter subclasses, it gets even more nuts at 15. Some people think it's a great subclass! Some think it's another terrible Tasha design.

Remove ads