• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What were the 3 software developers ordered to cease and dissist?

Eternalknight

First Post
Wizards have apparently ordered cease and dissist on three pieces of software, one of them being PC Gen. Does anyone have any information on what the other two were?

Cergorach

The Laughing One
Before i believe this i would first like to get some confirmation from people who are working on PcGen and the like (I really want to hear from Luke, is RPM still possible dude?)...

Now let's asume this is true. This would, of course, piss of a LOT of people. Not only the curent users of software that will be 'killed', but also people who where still in Limbo wheter or not to buy e-tools. If this where true i think this has a lot of impact on e-tools as well, ever seen a product sunk? Just lay back and watch if the above rumours are true...

Eternalknight

First Post
Posted on the Wizards messageboards by someone from PC Gen:

1) Did we get an official C&D order? No.
2) Did we talk with a WotC representative about PCGen and OGL
compliancy? Yes
3) Are we shutting down/being forced to shut down? No.
3a)Could we be? Yes. But that holds true for every other CharGen
program that is fan based.
4) Are we working with WotC to address their issues/concerns? Yes.
Unqualified yes. We've been trying to get dialog with them (WotC) for
18 months now, we have it, we're going to do everything we can to make
it 100% positive for them and us.

Having said that, relax and wait a couple of days for the full blown
announcement of what is going on please. A LOT of things happened at
GenCon this weekend and EVERY ONE of them was positive in some way, if
inconvienant atm.

Now that we have official dialog opened up with WotC, we are getting the
information we need to make everyone happy. As usual, it's all a matter
of time.

As for the threads on ENWorld and Gaming Reports, I would suggest
waiting for the official announcement from the PCGen Team about what's
what, then decide what to believe or not.

And please, everyone, please DO NOT start any flame wars on ANY message
board over this issue. Let things lay and wait for the announcement.

Mynex

Last edited:

Cergorach

The Laughing One
Thanks Eternal! This is good news, actually exactly the opposite of the rumour above. i hope that both (and others) can come to a satisfactory agreement...

bushfire

First Post
Actually the above quote from Mynex posted on the Wiz Boards is from the Yahoo PCGen group (I should know I posted it :) )

What it sounds like to me is that the guys from PCGen finally met with the lawyers from Wotc :)

4) Are we working with WotC to address their issues/concerns? Yes.
Unqualified yes. We've been trying to get dialog with them (WotC) for
18 months now, we have it, we're going to do everything we can to make
it 100% positive for them and us.

It is nice to see that the PCGen guys really do sound like they want be be "legal" (unlike some of the more rabid fans). In the long run this sounds like a good thing for PCGen.

kingpaul

First Post
quote from Bryan

This is from Bryan, the head of PCGen. He sent this out to the PCGen list today (can also be found at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pcgen/message/42363)
Some of you may be wondering why some stuff has been pulled from our data files and why all the pre-3.0.0 releases have been removed (well, hidden, not removed). There will be some other changes as well, but they'll mostly be minor in nature from a user-perspective. We'll have a formal announcement about all this in the very near future, but believe me when I tell you it's actually good news. We're dotting our i's and crossing our t's to make sure everything is in perfect order so that absolutely no one can have any qualm about us from any kind of perspective. We'll give more details when thingshave firmed up, but things are looking good. We've had some very exciting discussions with a number of companies which could completely surpass my wildest dreams of what PCGen could become. You'll understand why I have to be vague once we can make all the details available. This is gonna be incredible! :)

Remove ads