D&D 5E What will 5E's "signature line" be?

Zardnaar

Legend
Surely 5e is going to be known for 'modularity'.

I think 4e will be known for 'mechanics everywhere' - and contra its critics it had mechanics for social situations and exploration - not just combat.

2nd ed kind of has settings and modularity though.

Hannerdyn

Explorer
Campaign series; whole campaigns that -over time - reveal setting and rules elements. The catch will be the requirement to buy in to a whole series of a campaign to get all the rules for a particular setting.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Sorry, but I haven't had that problem with any version of D&D.

You don't have to be sorry. It's OK.

By stories, he means periodic published meta-plot which crosses over into multiple entertainment venues, building the stories as brands and expanding the range of comics, video games, toys, events, maybe even TV etc. He's not referring to your own homebrew stuff.

To use a somewhat tired buzzword: "transmedia".

The first being Tyranny of Dragons, of course.

aramis erak

Legend
4E was very much about the encounters and balance.

I think 5E's tag line is going to be "Play it your way". I have a feeling it's going to be a DM's paradise, where the DM can customize the game via rules modules to his heart's content.

And yet, they are ramping up a lot of organized play - which said organized play is exactly the opposite. Even most of the already released options are off the table.

And it's not just Encounters — your home game can, based upon the wording in the guides, participate in Adventurer's League play.

Organized play needs a consistent ruleset. It's helped by being a not overly complex one. I think 5E will be the edition of "The Adventurer's League"...

Warbringer

Explorer
You don't have to be sorry. It's OK.

By stories, he means periodic published meta-plot which crosses over into multiple entertainment venues, building the stories as brands and expanding the range of comics, video games, toys, events, maybe even TV etc. He's not referring to your own homebrew stuff.

To use a somewhat tired buzzword: "transmedia".

The first being Tyranny of Dragons, of course.

As an advertiser, trust me I'm as tired of transmedia almost as much as I am of omnichannel!!

I always considered Dragonlance as the original transmedia D&D with modules, novels, comic books minis and even a could I spin off games.

Hopefully the metaplot doesn't take centre stage this time.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Hopefully the metaplot doesn't take centre stage this time.

I have a feeling you'll be disappointed. If you look at the product lineup going into 2015, everything but the core rulebooks is linked to the current or next metaplot, whether it's miniatures, a DM Screen or a book of new player options.

Ragmon

Explorer
"I don't aim to offend." - Billy Connolly

5 is trying to be friendly with everyone while still trying not to offend anyone. But it succeeds at offending a fair amount of people, like me.

Remove ads