D&D (2024) What will D&D 6th edition be like?

It is too soon to talk about 6th reason, because the candence is slow, lots of titles haven't published yet, and the plans for the brand are multimedia. This means they are going to worry more about movies, teleserie and videogames what the printed books.

The experencie has tought them the best way to get new players is with simple rules.

Maybe the plans for a future d20 system is to be simple, but enough modular and flexible to allow different genres, even space opera and superheroes, but with a right balance of power.

But I dare to suggest they are going to get the idea from Pathfinder 2 where some racial traits can be replaced by optional racial feats.

Ace

Adventurer
I am with LuisCarlos 17f . The rate of production and the general popularity of 5E suggest it will have a long life, maybe longer than that of 2e which lasted more than a decade.

I suspect whatever comes next in five years or so will reflect gaming trends of the time, if the hobby shifts back to complex rules than 6E will get more complex. I do think it won't get much less complex, D&D won't become too narrative driven otherwise it risks the sales problem 4E had, good game but "not D&D"

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I think the 5e core is going to be generational, lasting at least into the 2030s. I could see something like a republishing of the PHB with some modified classes and races, but it would still be the same power level and the underlying mechanics are 5.0. (Call it a 5.1.)

Arilyn

Hero
Death and taxes are inevitable. A 6th edition? Not So much.
I think a 6e will happen, but probably a ways off. Eventually, sales will slip and WOTC will want a shiny new edition to rekindle excitement. Or maybe something awful will happen at Hasbro, and D&D will be bought by someone else. Nothing stays the same.

If 6e is not too far off, I think archetypes will be changed so all classes adopt one at same level. I think we might see fewer spell casting classes. Bonds, traits, etc. will be cleaned up and integrated more into system. Stats tinkered with so they are more balanced, saves going back to will, fortitude and reflex, or something similar and getting rid of tool proficiencies (having tool and skill separated is cludgy.)

If a new edition is far down the road, then who knows? It could end up radically different because gaming tastes change.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Look, a 6th edition of D&D is inevitable, so what do you think it will be like? Will it be a radical change in the game like 4th edition was? Or will it be a return to more tradition D&D like 5th edition was? I really want to know you all think. Please proceed...
5.25/5.5 will probably dialback some of the overly streamlined/simplified areas a notch or two & be named something like d&d $adjective or D&d $verb possibly with some more complete & fleshed out inclusion of stuff like dmg242 "success at a cost" baked into the system. It will probably be almost if not entirely compatible with 5e stuff with little if any rejiggering needed to convert.

sixth will no doubt be a long way off; but with the release of pf2 wotc might feel some pressure.

edit: As others have said, there are probably dozens of these threads

HarbingerX

Rob Of The North
Given how the 5e core books are still selling very well, there is little chance for a 6e any time soon. They also are being very careful not to oversaturate the rules space, so there is little need to 'fix' anything done so far. At most, I'd guess they'll do a 10th anniversary edition of 5e that includes some of the UA added sub-classes. Until then, they will continue to push D&D's brand into more IP; no need for new rules to do that.

Remove ads