• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What will Masterplan be after the C&D?

fnwc

Explorer
I was hoping that Masterplan would move closer to something like MapTools, where I could use it for a digital game table (not a player/gm networked one, but one used at an actual in-person game on a touch surface projection table) to track things like line of sight, fog of war, lighting, and general combat tracking (statuses especially).

Hopefully this isn't the death of Masterplan so much as the birth of something else. Hopefully.

rjdafoe

Explorer
I was hoping that Masterplan would move closer to something like MapTools, where I could use it for a digital game table (not a player/gm networked one, but one used at an actual in-person game on a touch surface projection table) to track things like line of sight, fog of war, lighting, and general combat tracking (statuses especially).

Hopefully this isn't the death of Masterplan so much as the birth of something else. Hopefully.

I was hoping the same thing. I have been playing around with it, and the only thing I would like at this time is a client/server feature for it. It would replace Maptools at my gametable I think.

By the way, can anyone tell me how Masterplan compares to Microsoft OneNote (2007)? I know people are using both programs to do similar things for their games, but how does the sheer versatility of OneNote compare to the specific utility of Masterplan, a program designed for exactly D&D purposes?

Dr. Confoundo

First Post
By the way, can anyone tell me how Masterplan compares to Microsoft OneNote (2007)? I know people are using both programs to do similar things for their games, but how does the sheer versatility of OneNote compare to the specific utility of Masterplan, a program designed for exactly D&D purposes?

You can easily do all of the adventure design in OneNote, and better, since you can link things much more easily. But for the encounters themselves, I'd use Masterplan.

sev

First Post
I think the fact that he hasn't made the code open-source, and that he's been completely mum about his reasons, indicates that he's either doing that Obsidian Portal integration, or that there's another deal in the works.

I'd be disappointed to see Masterplan integrated into obsidian portal. The documentation at OP is all uncaptioned video and therefore inacessible to the hearing-impaired, and the HTML output from Masterplan in general meets accessibility critera better than the OP website (Web2Access - Products - Obsidian Portal ).

Obsidian Portal's not a disaster -- and from a content-creation standpoint may be even more accessible than Masterplan -- but there's little excuse for moving *backwards* in terms of supporting people's ability to use a tool.

No idea though. It's all speculation at this point. :)
well, at least there's that.

darjr

I crit!
Yes, I would surely like to know. Anyone with any knowledge could you please double check whatever it is that holds your tongue and see if there is room to provide a wee bit of mercy?

Pour

First Post
I've quickly found this program to be essential in the few weeks I've owned in, and luckily it mostly still is (though when uploading compendium stuff in the future, will we be able to get the newer Dungeon and Dragon material), but I'm really going to miss whatever improvements might have been made to an already incredible tool.

Remove ads