What will Vista do for me?

I bought a new laptop before Vista came out, but close enough that they sent me a free upgrade. I have XP Media right now, but is there a good reason for me to upgrade to Vista? I use my computer for the usual word processing/internet/gaming things. I'm sure it's powerful enough to run it well, and I have plenty of RAM (2 gigs), but I don't really know anything about it, or what it can offer me that my current Windows can't.

Mycanid

First Post
I have heard reports from several magazines that games run slower on Vista. That's the first thing off the top of my head.

Lessee....

If your laptop is a tablet I have heard that the tablet functionality in Vista is much better....

Mycanid said:
I have heard reports from several magazines that games run slower on Vista. That's the first thing off the top of my head.

Lessee....

If your laptop is a tablet I have heard that the tablet functionality in Vista is much better....
Ah, so basically nothing good. Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted.

XCorvis

First Post
Drivers for Vista are still primitive, so they're not as optimized. 2 GB RAM should be pretty decent. Vista itself doesn't really do anything that XP + 3rd party programs can't do. There aren't any really compelling reasons to upgrade, so hold off for a while longer, if you can.

Ranger REG

Explorer
XCorvis said:
Drivers for Vista are still primitive, so they're not as optimized. 2 GB RAM should be pretty decent. Vista itself doesn't really do anything that XP + 3rd party programs can't do. There aren't any really compelling reasons to upgrade, so hold off for a while longer, if you can.
Unless there is an XP-supported software that can help me boot up and shut down as fast as (or even faster than) Vista.

XCorvis

First Post
Is improved startup time really a compelling reason to upgrade? I mean, it's nice, but is it worth the bother, especially considering the potential compatibility problems and poor driver support?

There's a bunch of optimization stuff you can do on XP. Anything that makes your system run faster will probably help with startup. There are programs to help with speeds by optimizing hard disk usage. You can change your bios settings, disable floppy drive detection in windows, remove startup items, trim out windows services and components - the list is long. It probably can't trim it down as fast as Vista's, but it can help.

Mercule

Adventurer
Mycanid said:

Handwriting recognition is better. On the other hand, there isn't an update for the button (screen rotation, etc.) driver for my older tablet. Battery performance seems comparable, as does overall speed, but I had to tweak the power usage a bit.

For my shiny new desktop, Vista seems overall pretty fast. I like the navigation changes a lot and Aero is kinda cool looking. Most applications seem to work fine and I've even gotten Visual Studio to run well enough (it requires some admin priviledges, which runs contrary to the tightened down Vista model). A bit of tweaking was involved to get Civ 4 to run correctly, though some of that was because Civ 4 assumes a standard ratio monitor. The biggest pain, so far is that I absolutely cannot get Campaign Cartographer 3 to install under Vista. PCGen runs quite well, though.

My general thought on Vista is that it's a nice OS and I wouldn't shy away from getting it, especially if you're reasonably computer literate (or will be running only apps/games made for Vista). On the other hand, it isn't worth spending the money just to upgrade. I also wouldn't go for just Home Basic -- make sure you're getting Home Premium.

Eventually, there will be a catalog of games and apps that are either made for Vista or can be patched to work better with Vista. At that point, I'd do the upgrade for sure. That day ain't today, so expect the occasional glitch, especially with older titles.

Office 2007, on the other hand, rocks whether you're on Vista or XP.

ThirdWizard

First Post
Mercule said:
Office 2007, on the other hand, rocks whether you're on Vista or XP.

Oh, God yes! Office 2007 is leaps and bounds better than previous versions.

Personally, I like Vista, and I'm going to upgrade to Ultimate from my current install of Business. I've been enjoying using it quite a bit, having no driver and almost no compatibility issues arising since installing it months ago.

Mercule

Adventurer
ThirdWizard said:
I'm going to upgrade to Ultimate from my current install of Business.

I'm considering moving from Home Premium. I must have the ability to use remote desktop and printer/folder sharing.

DonTadow

First Post
Mercule said:
I'm considering moving from Home Premium. I must have the ability to use remote desktop and printer/folder sharing.
Which one will let me use 3 monitors at the same time? Thats the one I need.

Remove ads