D&D 5E What Wizard School Would Come From Each Race/Lineage?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Okay, let's pretend we are building a world as we have two main points in the brief.

1. The World must be recognizable from the PHB. Elves have societies you'd expect from reading the PHB, etc.
  2. Each Wizard School comes from a different People, and no two People originated more than 1 School. Subraces are a People, for this discussion.
    1. Ignore "canon" or "normal" associations. If you think Bladesinging feels like a Genasi school, go for it.

So! What are yours?

To help, here are the Wizard Schools:

• Bladesinging
  • Chronurgy/Chronomancy
  • Graviturgy
  • Scribes
  • Abjuration
  • Conjuration
  • Divination
  • Enchantment
  • Evocation
  • Illusion
  • Necromancy
  • Transmutation
  • War

For bonus points, what do you consider 3 or fewer missing schools, and what people would you associate with them?

doctorbadwolf

My answers:

• Bladesinging - Drow
  • Chronurgy/Chronomancy - High Elves
  • Graviturgy - Goliath
  • Scribes - Forest Gnomes
  • Abjuration - Dwarves
  • Conjuration - Rock Gnomes
  • Divination - Humans
  • Enchantment - this school squicks me out, so idk. Satyrs?
  • Evocation - Genasi
  • Illusion - Firbolg
  • Necromancy - Shadar-Kai
  • Transmutation - Changelings
  • War - Hobgoblins
Missing Three

• Restoration - Halflings
  • Lunar - Shifters
  • Cthonic - A shared ancestor of Tritons and Sahuagin.
I could see giving Graviturgy to Earth Genasi, and Divination to Goliath (up on their mountaintops, reading the stars, throwing bones, etc), and Evocation to Humans, but the above works for me.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
OK, I'll try:

Illusion - Gnome (not very original, but...)
Divination - Dwarf (Geomancy, Rune magic, ''treasure sense'', read the earth etc)
Enchantment - Eladrin or Hexborn (creepy-pervy fae magic)
Evocation - Shadar-kai (Burning your own life to deal moaar damage fit their thrillseeker niche)
Scribes - Halfling (Peaceful chronicler of the big folk.)
Chronomancy: Githyanki (master the magic of timelessness in their dead-god-city)
Graviturgy - Githzerai (master the magic of the empty void of Limbo)
Necromancy - High Elves (they are obessed with immortality...and the mortality of the other race)
Transmutation - Humans (Modify themselves with magic to counter their lack of ''magical ancestry)
War - Hobgoblin (war magic)
Conjuration - Tieflings

doctorbadwolf

OK, I'll try:

Illusion - Gnome (not very original, but...)
Divination - Dwarf (Geomancy, Rune magic, ''treasure sense'', read the earth etc)
Enchantment - Eladrin or Hexborn (creepy-pervy fae magic)
Evocation - Shadar-kai (Burning your own life to deal moaar damage fit their thrillseeker niche)
Scribes - Halfling (Peaceful chronicler of the big folk.)
Chronomancy: Githyanki (master the magic of timelessness in their dead-god-city)
Graviturgy - Githzerai (master the magic of the empty void of Limbo)
Necromancy - High Elves (they are obessed with immortality...and the mortality of the other race)
Transmutation - Humans (Modify themselves with magic to counter their lack of ''magical ancestry)
War - Hobgoblin (war magic)
Conjuration - Tieflings
Nice! I especially like Graviturgy with Githzerai. I'd swap High Elves and Githyanki but I totally see what you are going for there. Very cool!

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
War - Humans. Practical Magic.
Illusion - Elves. The fey magic of seemings and glamour.
Bladesinging - Half-elves. Going with the Eberron take on half-elves as a people in their own right, half-elves blend human ruthlessness with elven grace into its own art.
Transmutation - Dwarves. Crafters and engineers, they bend reality to fit their great plans.
Enchantment - Halflings. The halflings are a friendly people with no magic, why would ever threaten them? Let's march around their village.
Abjuration - Gnomes. The "Quiet People" have been guarding the borders of reality for longer than anyone save the elves remember.
Conjuration - Aasimar. All are bound to be called by the will of those who bear the blood of the Creators.
Evocation - Warforged. Those built for war have honed its brightest tools to a razor's edge.
Necromancy - Changeling. The magic of the borders comes easily to those whose spirits sit loosely in their mortal shell.
Divination - Orcs, Half-orcs. Gruumsh's sacrifice lets his people see further.

Gotta think a little more about the others.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I'll give this a shot
  • Bladesinging
Eladrin
  • Chronurgy/Chronomancy
Githyanki ('Cause time doesn't progress in the Astral, which lets them be better at manipulating it on the Material.)
  • Graviturgy
Githzerai (I know @vincegetorix already said this, but this is actually the excuse I used for my world when a player wanted to be a Githzerai Graviturgist. I just told them "Actually, that's where graviturgy came from in this world, so it fits great!" and stuck with it. I'm glad others think that it fits, too.)
Hill Dwarves (But instead of spellbooks, they have stone tablets with runes sketched into them as their ways to keep records, record history, and store knowledge.)
  • Abjuration
Mountain Dwarves (as the more martial dwarves focusing on building giant strongholds to protect their clan)
  • Conjuration
Planetouched (Genasi, Tieflings, Aasimar, Hexblood, etc), as a means of visiting/contacting their relatives
  • Divination
Aarakocra (Magical Eagle-sight, basically.)
  • Enchantment
Halflings
  • Evocation
Goblins (Like Izzet goblins)
Forest/Deep Gnomes
  • Necromancy
Shadar-Kai
  • Transmutation
Rock Gnomes
Hobgoblins

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
I don’t have Wildemount, so I know nothing of these two’s game mechanics:

Chronomancy = Lizardfolk or Firbolg
Graviturgist = Githzerai

As for the rest:

Abjuration = Humans
Conjuration = Tieflings
Divination = Aasimars
Enchantment = High Elves
Evocation = Rock Gnomes
Illusion = Forest Gnomes
Necromancy = Orcs
Transmutation = Dwarves

War = Githyanki

Bladesinging = Wood Elves
Scribes = Kenku

squibbles

Adventurer
Cool Thread!

Here are my answers:
  • Bladesinging - gnomes, falsely attributed to elves because their singing/dancing is more memorable
  • Chronurgy/Chronomancy - humans, because they're always trying to cheat out of their pitiful short lifespans
  • Graviturgy - lizardfolk, their calculating alien minds do well with physics equations
  • Scribes - dragonborn, they were writing abstruse magical gibberish before it went mainstream
  • Abjuration - dwarves, they're big into magic wards, especially glyphs of warding, maybe a little too much
  • Conjuration - gith, for planehopping and to facilitate comfortable living in miserable realms inimical to mortal life
  • Divination - elves, so they could swipe and claim credit for everyone else's schools
  • Enchantment - Yuan-ti, because creeping on people with perv magic just comes naturally to them
  • Evocation - Kobolds, they always wanted that dragon breath weapon but had to settle for fireball
  • Illusion - Tieflings, the better to tempt mortals into a bad deal whilst infernally bargaining
  • Necromancy - Aasimar, to save good and worthy people from the tragedy of death; their plan may not have gone as intended
  • Transmutation - Kenku, gotta get those wings back somehow, and lots of shiny things to play with in the interim
  • War - Goliath, they practice only the most athletic styles of wizardry

Remove ads