D&D Movie/TV What would a good D&D movie be like?

If you were in charge of making the next D&D and movie and wanted it to be good, how would you do it?

Specifically, how would it represent Dungeons & Dragons in plot, characters, conventions, etc? How it would it be both a good movie, and a good D&D movie? How can it appeal both to those familiar with gaming and to mainstream audiences?

You can get all the money and talent you need, so don't worry so much about the logistics. What does the movie end up looking like?

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
It would use the Drizz't novels that showed how lived in the Underdark. Those books have an established fan base outside of D&D. People are familiar with elves, it would not be a leap to have dark elves. The story is interesting as is the environment and the character is attractive with cool fighting abilities.

Beyond that using an actual story and not so much focusing on aspects of the game would be best. An adult story with good actors and an interest story arc.

dracomilan

Explorer
For a "generic" D&D movie I would stay away from established characters and narratives, saving them for when the franchise will be strong and successful.
I would drop some names here and there, referring to fanous NPCs and places and definitely set the movie in the Forgotten Realms.
My movie would start in Waterdeep and have the characters travel throu the Realms all the way to Anauroch or Thay, it depends if researches tell me that undead are still trendy enough (then my main enemies are the Red Wizards) or mainstream is ready for a new class of enemies (then I make them fight the lorda of Shade).
It would be a story strongly focused on the different factions of the Realms, trying to make Harpers, Zhentarim etc family names.
Once that is accomplished, I am in business, and not stuck with some characters (that may or may be not interesting for different movies).
That's how I would do it.

wedgeski

Adventurer
This is a really hard question that I *hope* is keeping early production meetings on the movie going way into the night. Do we smash together a great high-fantasy movie that maybe has a famous D&D villain? Do we keep the D&D-ism's under the surface, as in-jokes to everyone who knows what a magic missile is? Do we Nolan-ise the whole thing and create angst-ridden heroes in a filthy, disease-ridden milieu?

Personally I think the best option is to find the best fantasy script on the market right now, buy it, add some close calls to D&D, and get it out there.

delericho

Legend
If you were in charge of making the next D&D and movie and wanted it to be good, how would you do it?

I would hire Vin Diesel and the Rock, and as much of the team behind the most recent "Fast & Furious" films, and tell them to do whatever it is they do that makes those films so successful.

But I should note that I'd be aiming for "unabashedly entertaining" (and, hopefully, "wildly successful"), rather than "good".

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
For a "generic" D&D movie I would stay away from established characters and narratives, saving them for when the franchise will be strong and successful.
I would drop some names here and there, referring to fanous NPCs and places and definitely set the movie in the Forgotten Realms.
My movie would start in Waterdeep and have the characters travel throu the Realms all the way to Anauroch or Thay, it depends if researches tell me that undead are still trendy enough (then my main enemies are the Red Wizards) or mainstream is ready for a new class of enemies (then I make them fight the lorda of Shade).
It would be a story strongly focused on the different factions of the Realms, trying to make Harpers, Zhentarim etc family names.
Once that is accomplished, I am in business, and not stuck with some characters (that may or may be not interesting for different movies).
That's how I would do it.

You use familiar names to establish a franchise. Why would you avoid them hoping the franchise would grow strong without them?

transtemporal

Explorer
Probably the first Dragonlance trilogy. Pretty epic stuff. Comedy, tragedy, betrayal, action, mystery, romance. Dragonlance has got it all.

Keifer Sutherland as Raistlin, lol.

hatecraft

First Post
The problem is that all of DnD settings were novel when they were created, but would seem to be full of tired tropes when presented to a mass audience. Everyone has already seen snooty elves and brutal orcs. They saw that in LotR, and the D&D movie isn't going to be bigger budget than LotR.

I'd want to see a movie with fantastic things as setting (these women wear dresses made from live birds), but not fantastic things as plot (we need to activate the aether crystal so that the void dragons don't devour the engine of Oosh!). So, I vote to put it in Planescape, the City of Doors.

Alternatively, put it in Dark Sun, and get the Mad Max guys to work on it.

And they should do what Lego did--wrap it in a meta-narrative. Show the triumphs and fears of the character echoed in the triumphs and joys of the players. Even if its just a single scene after the credits where all the players are eating shawarma and talking about how awesome that session was. Maybe the elf and the dwarf that were flirting in the game are also flirting in real life, and one of them asks the other out. You could use it to provide closure for in-game plots like that. But the meta-plot is what I really, really want to see. It's what sets D&D apart from any other game--it's a social game. You play it with your friends, and spend the whole time talking. It's like a party in your friends' shared imagination, and I think that needs to be represented.

But Hasbro is probably going to make it a generic Forgotten Realms movie, because that's the brand they're trying to grow.

Quickleaf

Legend
Party Rapport.

Having a good zing and snap between the members of the party, lots of witticisms, tongue-in cheek humor, and a few "in" jokes for good measure.

That's something audiences readily get, and gamers readily recognize as a D&D party.

Remove ads