D&D 5E What would be better build for a Swordsman?

One Piece fan? guilty as charged. for the longest time now i've always loved my characters to be swordsmen and most of them share the same goal in different campaigns: to become the GREATEST swordsman of that world. now, i mostly do this with Swashbuckler rogues since Sneak Attack is an amazing thing to have when you're trying to hit harder... but i want to know what would be a good BUILD for a swordsman, cause i don't want to rely on ONE class only to make this type of character.

And you guys can go wild with the suggestions, it'll be fun to try out new whacky multiclass characters in order to make the LITERAL GREATEST SWORDSMAN that a DnD campaign has ever seen.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Need more information about what defines “swordsman” for you. Most damage with sword? Or something more specific? (For example, are you imagining unarmored?)

And you guys can go wild with the suggestions, it'll be fun to try out new whacky multiclass characters in order to make the LITERAL GREATEST SWORDSMAN that a DnD campaign has ever seen.
Is the primary goal that they are doing the most damage with a sword, or that they fit an iconic characterization of someone trying to be (/known as) the greatest swordsman?

The former has no one right answer. In particular, it will depend on how many encounters per day they will be called on to showcase this swordman-ness (for example, if they have to do this 12 times a day with no long and few short rests, all of a sudden Champion Fighter starts looking pretty good). Also whether they are supposed to be strictly sword-ing or whether magic (or maybe even side activities like grappling) can be part of the mix. Also Also whether this greatest swordsman-ing is a solo activity or if it is reflected in how well they use swords-fighting to contribute to a group's combat success (shield master, using Sage Advise supported rules interpretation, isn't that useful in 1:1 duels. It is great, however, if your allies can capitalize on you knocking an opponent down).

The later, I'd suggest either a performer background (emphasizing the showman quality), or folk hero/noble background and have them aspire to wowing the populace (perhaps with good social skills if you want them to succeed, a decided lack of them if you want a more Zap Branigan only-thinks-he's-charismatic type).

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
I like Kensai monk simply because they can wield a longsword two-handed without armor and not totally suck.

jgsugden

Legend
If you want the 'greatest' one handed swordsman, I am picturing someone that does a lot of damage, does amazing things with the sword, and doesn't rely upon magic. They may also do some fun things with their body as they attack with the sword. To me, I also picture them being lightly armored.

Total build would be Battlemaster 11, Monk 1, Gloom Stalker 4, Assassin 5.

Battlemaster allows you to do some tricks with your weapon. Monk would get me the unarmored AC for the fun 'all I need is my sword' feel (as well as a bonus action unarmed attack for a bit more damage). Battlemaster 11 and Gloom Stalker 4 combine to allow you to make 8 attacks on the first round of combat with action surge. Assassin gives you a chance to make all of them crits if you go first, as well as add a bit of sneak attack damage. This is not an OP build, but it can be fun and evocative.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Total build would be Battlemaster 11, Monk 1, Gloom Stalker 4, Assassin 5.
Interesting combination. Ranger also allows you to gain some spell casting, and Hunter's Mark would grant additional damage on a lot of attacks!

I'm not sure if I would include the level of Monk. I would go Barbarian instead for Unarmored Defense that way, and RAGE!!! Even more damage plus resistance to some damage. ;)

Interesting combination. Ranger also allows you to gain some spell casting, and Hunter's Mark would grant additional damage on a lot of attacks!

I'm not sure if I would include the level of Monk. I would go Barbarian instead for Unarmored Defense that way, and RAGE!!! Even more damage plus resistance to some damage. ;)
that's a nice idea but then you'd have to drop the rogue too since you need STR based weapons to deal the extra rage damage

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
that's a nice idea but then you'd have to drop the rogue too since you need STR based weapons to deal the extra rage damage
Not true. You need a finesse weapon to make a sneak attack, but you don't need to attack with DEX.

So, you can have a shortsword, for example, which is finesse, but use your STR modifier for attack and damage. :)

I know, because I had a STR-based rogue who did this precise thing.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases