D&D 5E What would be better build for a Swordsman?

Not true. You need a finesse weapon to make a sneak attack, but you don't need to attack with DEX.

So, you can have a shortsword, for example, which is finesse, but use your STR modifier for attack and damage. :)

I know, because I had a STR-based rogue who did this precise thing.
loving this idea more and more... i'd still change the assassin for a swashbuckler to get more consistent damage each turn

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
loving this idea more and more... i'd still change the assassin for a swashbuckler to get more consistent damage each turn
Swashbuckler is a nice option, you have more chances of getting advantage IIRC, and adding CHA mod to initiative will give you an edge to go first, BUT the big downside is your character becomes more MAD with each class and feature addition:

Fighter (Battle Master): STR or DEX
Rogue: DEX (Swashbuckler CHA)
Barbarian: STR since you'll attack with STR mod and DEX/CON for AC
Ranger: DEX and WIS 13 for multiclassing

At this point, INT is the only score you DON'T need a good score in...

With Assassin, CHA isn't needed as well.

Just something to think about.

Swashbuckler is a nice option, you have more chances of getting advantage IIRC, and adding CHA mod to initiative will give you an edge to go first, BUT the big downside is your character becomes more MAD with each class and feature addition:

Fighter (Battle Master): STR or DEX
Rogue: DEX (Swashbuckler CHA)
Barbarian: STR since you'll attack with STR mod and DEX/CON for AC
Ranger: DEX and WIS 13 for multiclassing

At this point, INT is the only score you DON'T need a good score in...

With Assassin, CHA isn't needed as well.

Just something to think about.
yup, you'd need crazy stats for this one, or a stroke of luck

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
yup, you'd need crazy stats for this one, or a stroke of luck
I would focus on STR for attacking, DEX and CON for defense, and CHA is last. You also need the WIS 13.

If you had to use the standard array, you might want:

STR 14
DEX 15
CON 12
INT 8
WIS 13
CHA 10

Half-elf (using pre-MotM) would add DEX +1, CON/WIS +1, and CHA +2:

STR 14
DEX 16 (15+1)
CON 12
INT 8
WIS 14 (13+1)
CHA 12 (10+2)

Obviously, if you can roll and get great rolls you'll be better off, but even with standard array/ point-buy you could pull it off.

EDIT: You could swap out STR/DEX if you want. I went with higher DEX so you would be more effective in ranged combat as well. Since you are focused on swords, you'd probably want a better STR (although you'd also have a slightly worse AC...).

I would focus on STR for attacking, DEX and CON for defense, and CHA is last. You also need the WIS 13.

If you had to use the standard array, you might want:

STR 14
DEX 15
CON 12
INT 8
WIS 13
CHA 10

Half-elf (using pre-MotM) would add DEX +1, CON/WIS +1, and CHA +2:

STR 14
DEX 16 (15+1)
CON 12
INT 8
WIS 14 (13+1)
CHA 12 (10+2)

Obviously, if you can roll and get great rolls you'll be better off, but even with standard array/ point-buy you could pull it off.
those look like solid stats that could get better and better with half feats and/or ASIs (good thing the main class for this build is a fighter so you'll be getting lots of those)

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
those look like solid stats that could get better and better with half feats and/or ASIs (good thing the main class for this build is a fighter so you'll be getting lots of those)
Just in case you missed my edit:

You could swap out STR/DEX if you want. I went with higher DEX so you would be more effective in ranged combat as well. Since you are focused on swords, you'd probably want a better STR (although you'd also have a slightly worse AC...).

And, of course, you could use the rapier for d8 finesse, obviously.

Just in case you missed my edit:

You could swap out STR/DEX if you want. I went with higher DEX so you would be more effective in ranged combat as well. Since you are focused on swords, you'd probably want a better STR (although you'd also have a slightly worse AC...).

And, of course, you could use the rapier for d8 finesse, obviously.
i'll go with DEX cause i think is better to have a higher AC than anything else

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Another thing is the class/level distribution might benefit more if you went Fighter 12 instead of 11, just to get another ASI.

It gets tricky with the Gloom Stalker and Swashbuckler, 5th level in gets you 2nd level ranger spells and 3d6 sneak attacks...

If you do 5th in both, you can only go 10th in Fighter. And you still need 1 level for Barbarian if you go that route...

Another thing is the class/level distribution might benefit more if you went Fighter 12 instead of 11, just to get another ASI.

It gets tricky with the Gloom Stalker and Swashbuckler, 5th level in gets you 2nd level ranger spells and 3d6 sneak attacks...

If you do 5th in both, you can only go 10th in Fighter. And you still need 1 level for Barbarian if you go that route...
i think that Battlemaster 17/Swashbuckler 3 would be enough for a consistant damage build since the Gloomstalker is just there to give you one more attack and you could get better options for that (like dual weilding)... or you could do Samurai 17/Zealot 3 if you wanna go for less damage and more advantage on your blows, big damage vs. mad accuracy

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
i think that Battlemaster 17/Swashbuckler 3 would be enough for a consistant damage build since the Gloomstalker is just there to give you one more attack and you could get better options for that (like dual weilding)... or you could do Samurai 17/Zealot 3 if you wanna go for less damage and more advantage on your blows, big damage vs. mad accuracy
Sounds good. I'd just question if you want BM 16 or 17. Is another Action Surge and Indomitable worth the ASI you could get from Swashbuckler 4? It's a toss up, IMO, depending on what you do with the ASI...

Samurai/Zealot could also work, but for me the BM maneuvers are too important to a "master swordsman" build. 🤷‍♂️

Remove ads