• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What would it take?

Dreaddisease

First Post
On TV we have Xena, we have Herucles, we have the whole Gene Roddenberry spin-offs, we have Smallville, we have the Beastmaster, we have Buffy, we have Lost World, we have Charmed, we have plenty of others that I cannot think of. So why are we still missing a D&D based show? I ask this question seriously.

Technology is at a high enough level to do a show of this proportion, and even if it wasn't there can be enough other stuff to make it interesting. There are cheap places to film, plenty of actors out there and story lines galore. So what would it take to make it succeed? I hope by answering some questions here, maybe, just maybe there will be a spark out there and we, our community, can make this happen.

A story non-RPG people will appreciate & still based on generic D&D information.
The idea here is to have something that is watchable even without knowledge of the game. Use a story line that is common enough through the gaming community so that people can relate (i.e. stay away from templates, psionics, unfamiliar monsters, etc.). The promotion of the show can easily keep away from referencing to the sub-culture that we are apart of, as well as keeping the title of the show ambiguous such as "The Campaigns" or "An Adventure". Attract both sexes with romantic sub-plots for women (keep it clean and very slow paced) and action for men and have a mixed group of male and females, with a common respect for both sides, even if the world is male dominated. Stick to the core rules, if only to keep the behind the scenes aspect something that all D&D fans can easily relate to. Keep an online character sheet of all the main characters, show level advancements and skill & feats & spells used in each episode. Keep the world simple, maybe a frontier type adventure to start with just so its easy to relate to.

Cheap & Easy
Xena and Hercules were both filmed in New Zealand for budget purposes. A cheap location, open location is essential. The best reason to start in a frontier setting is to use small sets and few extras. Hire No-name actors, use lots of cheap extras. Stick with costume monsters at the beginning of the show before moving on to digital or animatronics. Battles should be simple, but don't skimp on showing the intensity. Remember, 1 - 5 levels are very simple. Stick with that and the audience won't feel to overwhelmed. Spend time explaining things to the audience, as the characters explain it to each other. Simplify each concept (just not the Star Trek:TNG way) for the intended audience.

aside - My wife and I always joke about the Star Trek: TNG Far Point Station episode when they explain a technological and hypothetic subject and they have to simplify it down, Riker says: Like giving a baby sour milk, he will stop sucking.

Know What we Want
Harder and harder every year is the expectation of audiences. When you think they want more thought provoking TV, they will turn around and watch some stupid show instead. and vice versa. The key is to stradle the line.

Help the audience relate
Use a character to narrate what is happening. Use the wizard. Why? The wizard is the hardest class to straight out accept for the audience, so force them to see it through his eyes, and use the narration to explain the more difficult subjects. I hope that made sense. Narrate at the beginning and end of the episode, even if there seems to be no point, just to catch the viewers up. Andromeda and Stargate SG1 are both notorious for getting very confusing quickly in their storylines, yet they make little effort to explain what is going on. Don't punish the audience for missing the key episode where the plot suddenly changed.

Party size, party organization
7, why seven? Well you can introduce seven individuals in one show, sitcoms do it all the time. Base classes for the organization? Bard, Rogue, Cleric, Ranger, Fighter (or Paladin) Wizard & Barbarian. Two women, five men. No multiclassing & stick to the most common spells (at least to start). The one variant rule I would use for the show would be spell points. Unless someone can come up with a usable explanation as to why a Wizard who just cast Magic Missile has to cast a different 1st level spell than because he didn't memorize it twice. Believe me this will seem odd to an audience.

Cheese
Keep the cheese. Spread it around in the right areas, and acknowledge it accordingly. It is impossible to have a potential cult favorite without it. Just keep it out of the intense moments, even if it means the characters don't speak. Cheese can be used to lighten the mood in the program as well as a inside joke type thing.

Everything else I left out
Special effects are a hard thing to get down, just start imagining the various spells. Color spray, Silent Image, Fireball (how do you show fire for a split second without blinding the audience or violating reason when a rogue evades and has no damage even though they are within the blast radius?), magic weapon. Spend the money here and everyone will appreciate it, especially me. Use old English. Use old fashioned values. Stay away from political issues. Like when a bear that attacks the party and dies it can be 'appreciated' by the ranger in a native-American way, but don't berate the audience with some sappy ritual or long message about animal rights. If a decision or course of the campaign has a morale issue, don't make it the highlight, and don't have it directly relational to ethical and morale issue we have today (i.e. abortion). I think whether or not you believe in 'old fashion' values or social norms, you should have a show based in a medieval setting, use medieval values.

Well that is all I have to say now. I have a storyline already in mind but I am still unsure how universal it could be.

If any studio execs read this and are very very interested, just ICQ me how much I would make and my budget. My family and I are willing to relocate to New Zealand. hehe.

Ranger REG

Explorer
In this day and age, I honestly don't think anyone can do a proper D&D TV series. The movie version bombed real bad that no one would probably like to touch it, except Courtney Solomon who still retained the right.

And as someone tries to burst my bubble many times over, the syndication market is not as strong as it once was in the 80's and 90's. You need financial backing of a major network. CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, UPN, and TheWB determines what I see on the tube, from Trading Spouses to Everybody Love Raymond.

[image placeholder: rolleye smiley ... film at 11]

Last edited:

ddvmor

I'm a little teapot!
Wasn't there some talk last year of the Henson company making something along these lines - shortly after Farscape was cancelled, I think.

It would be cool though - we've got plenty of straight sci-fi and superhero nonsense to keep us going, this would be a nice change and catch the LotR audiences while they're still enthusiastic about it.

Aust Diamondew

First Post
Because all those TV shows you listed suck IMHO. And I don't want the game misrepresented to the public or for D&D (however unlikely this may be) become a fad. Whenever things become fads they start to suck IMHO.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Dreaddisease said:
If any studio execs read this and are very very interested, just ICQ me how much I would make and my budget. My family and I are willing to relocate to New Zealand. hehe.

I can put you in touch with the Xena Stunt Coordinator if you ever get it off the ground ;)

-Hyp.

Rackhir

Explorer
The thing is that D&D is first and foremost a system, not a story. Granted you can create stories based on unique creatures/spells/character types from that system, but guts of a story do not flow from the nature of the system. So there is always some remove from the source material simply because much of what makes D&D - D&D is stuff that is irrelevant in terms of telling the story. You're not going to have the actors moving around on a square grid to determine who generates AoOs. Likewise you probably won't be calculating ECLs and such or having XP's pop up over monster's heads when they're killed.

Second, while we like it, D&D is not really what you'd call a popular brand, except among our sub-culture. Mention D&D in the wider society and the first thoughts are Geeks, nerds and people lost in steam tunnels. So it would probably be unwise to market it directly as a "D&D" Show. Your ideas for the character sheets and such is probably a good one, but not something you want to wave around out front.

Use a character to narrate what is happening.
One minor nit to pick: I generally find narration in TV and movies to be the mark of a hack writer (only exception that comes to mind: Johnny Depp's in "Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas"). I'm firmly in the "show, don't tell" school of storytelling. If all you want to do is recap what's gone before, I think the tried and true "Previously on..." at the beginning of the ep should be fine.

Other than that, I think a generic fantasy (or heck, ungeneric - Eberron: The Series would rock!) show would be swell, but I'd stay away from trying to be D&D. D&D purists won't like the inevitable compromises that have to be made ("No way could he have made that save!"), people who like RPGs and fantasy but hate D&D (they are out there; hell, I was one) will be turned off by the branding, and viewers who wouldn't know D&D from DSL will just be confused and say, "Isn't that that Satanic game from the 80s?"

That said, I think a few nods to the D&D crowd would be cool. Gotta have a mage tossing fireballs. Maybe a "holy warrior" laying hands on the wounded too.

s/LaSH

First Post
But D&D does have a flavour all its own, something that makes it uniquely D&D. All you need to say to the network execs?

Tom Clancy's Lord Of The Rings.

Once you realise the truth in this statement, you can build something never seen before. And I think it would be pretty cool. Imagine Alias with more swords and fewer jets. (OK, no jets.) Alias is a great show, and in the two seasons I've seen, it contains precisely one link to today's world order: the CIA. The rest is a bunch of imaginary agencies with shadowy agendas operating on an international level. And that's quite suited to D&D (dragon cultists, necromantic alliances, fallen angels...). If Alias could do it and be relatively popular, I reckon D&D could do it with just a little bit of effort spent on building up sympathetic Innocents for the Heroes To Save, and perhaps some good, obvious reason to be Patriotic to whatever fantasyland it's set in.

Whispers:
"Perimeter patrols are down. If intel's good, we're clear for another twelve minutes until they're due to check in with security."
"Excellent, Lidda. Come on, two on either side of the service entrance. Mialee, do a scan. Anything waiting on the other side?"
"...I'm getting no undead sign, sir. We're clear."
"Right, Jozan, you're with me on point, two by two; we're clear on the route to the strongroom, three minutes there and back, it shouldn't take more than five minutes to cut into the sarcophagus and retrieve Damnus' Heart, and we'll be clear with sixty seconds to spare. Go."
*smash*
*RROARR*
"You, uh, didn't say anything about living watchtrolls, sir."
"Yeah, yeah. And you said I was paranoid about bringing the flaming sword on a zombiehunt..."

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
s/LaSH said:
Alias is a great show, and in the two seasons I've seen, it contains precisely one link to today's world order: the CIA. The rest is a bunch of imaginary agencies with shadowy agendas operating on an international level.

Incorrect - being set in the modern world, Alias operates with a huge amount of assumed material: Cars and guns and cell phones and credit cards and newspapers and high-rise buildings and pet dogs and pizza...

One major problem with science fiction and fantasy TV is that most of those assumptions vanish. The show has to spend a whole lot of time informing the viewer about what does exist, and how it functions. That's a huge drag on a show that gets a whopping 40 minutes a week.

Remove ads