• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

what would you be in the dungeons and Dragons world?

Capellan

Explorer
Driddle said:
Anyone who believes you've got an 17 or 18 intelligence? -- YOU'RE FULL OF BALONEY! YOU'RE NOT THAT SMART!

Actually, if you just treat stats as part of a probability curve, I'm sure there are numerous 17s and 18s on the boards.

Even rolling a straight 3d6 for stats, the chance of a 17 or 18 is 4 in 216, or nearly 2%.

So in other words, a 17 or 18 Int just means you're in the top 2% of 'ordinary' people. Assuming that ENworld maps closely to society as a whole, and that there are 1000s of users on here, meeting some 17s and 18s is quite likely.

And lets not forget that since 3e, INT scores of 20+ are quite attainable with a little experience. So 17 and 18 aren't that big a deal.

(All bets are off if you believe that Int = IQ/10 nonsense from earlier editions, of course)

Barak

First Post
I'd probably be a half-ogre, half-medusa, half-vampire, half-illithid (my grand-parents are that cool! And no, I'm not being sarcastic). My stats would be average, but with the racial boosts, they'd end up alright. And with all those templates, even thouigh I'm 29, my ECL would be so high that I wouldn't have class levels yet. :(

I would say my ability scores would be looking like:

Str: 11 (Easy to test that one in a gym)
Dex: 10 (Pretty much average there)
Con: 14 (I rarely get ill, have pretty good stamina, and managed to keep going despite being significantly injured before)
Int: 15 (Tested IQ of 153, so using the INT=IQ/10 thing here)
Wis: 12 (Was 11, I used to think of myself as pretty average in that regard, but real life has taught me a few lessons over the last few years and I'm definitely wiser, so I figure my 4th level ability point went into that)
Cha: 11 (I consider my interpersonal ability to be slightly on the high side of average)

As for class?
In D&D, probably a Wizard (I'm educated, love books, and INT is my highest ability score), maybe with a single level of Bard (I have enough knowledge of random and obscure stuff to maybe be 1st level Bardic Knowledge, I'm defnitely a lot more physical than the stereotypical Wizard, and after years of boffer-larping I'd say I probably have at least light armor and shield proficiency because I've gotten pretty good at running around carrying a wooden shield and blocking attacks with it and maneuvering while wearing leather armor). Ideally I'd be going for Loremaster as a prestige class, the theme of that class really appeals to me and it's the sort of thing I'd want to be in a fantasy world.

In d20 Modern I'd probably be a Smart Hero/Dedicated Hero, d20M works a lot better for trying to describe real people than D&D.

Bladesong

Explorer
Driddle said:
Good-natured flame attack on no one in particular, because this sort of thread demands it sooner or later:

Anyone who believes you've got an 17 or 18 intelligence? -- YOU'RE FULL OF BALONEY! YOU'RE NOT THAT SMART! Even if the genetic material from your mom and dad rolled 10d6 and took the best three before you were born. Just not gonna happen.

Now go hide in a dark corner and cry over your puny 7 charisma rating. :p

Good-natured response: ;) Since I was one of those that fit your description, I would rather not be the one to point it out, but on the off chance no one else does... here goes.

It is generally believed that 1% fall into the "very smart +" catagory and that .01% fall into the "even smarter" catagory. If there were only 1,000 people on ENWorld 10 of them would fall into the first mentioned catagory and possibly 1 in the second.

On a personal level I have declined invitations from Mensa seveal times in the past, and my 13 year old daughter is likely to be more intelligent than I am, but she will have to make her own choices. Just because you are smart does not mean you have to care about it or flaunt it. I much prefer having a NORMAL life, thank you very much.

In any case, do not be so quick to judge; it severly hinders your Wisdom score. :)

Last edited:

Barak

First Post
Well declining to join Mensa, in my mind, is actually a sign of intelligence anyway, since Mensa is a pretty dumb instituion.

Prolly doesn't justify an 18 by itself, but it's a step in the right direction.

Bladesong

Explorer
Barak said:
Well declining to join Mensa, in my mind, is actually a sign of intelligence anyway, since Mensa is a pretty dumb instituion.

Prolly doesn't justify an 18 by itself, but it's a step in the right direction.

Good points. I have been tested, but they are all relative anyway and there are so many different tests now...who knows if any of them are actually accurate? It does not really matter anyway, make my Int a '3' it is only a number. :D

reanjr

First Post
6th level human expert
Str 11 - based on lifting/dragging rules from PHB
Dex 9 - best guess as I'm slightly below average
Con 8 - best guess, I'm healthy but have no ability to do aerobic activity
Int 19 - based on IQ and rate of incidence in real-world/D&D
Wis 12 - most people believe I am, but I tend to make poor choices
Cha 14 - I get along with everyone and make friends easily, I also excel at convincing others

reanjr

First Post
wingsandsword said:
Int: 15 (Tested IQ of 153, so using the INT=IQ/10 thing here)

That's a poor way of determining Int. IQ is basically intended to measure what percentile you fall into. At 153, I'm pretty sure you'd have an Int of 18.

18 is not that uncommon. 1/216 if you are rolling 3d6. Much better chances if rolling 4d6 and dropping.

reanjr

First Post
Ambrus said:
There's a distinction I think between what we would be and what we'd like to be. If people are honest with themselves then we'd pretty much all be human experts with various levels, stats and skills.

My thought is anyone who works in skilled trade or a professional is an expert. Those working in blue-collar positions such as factory or warehouse style work be commoner. Athletes, soldiers and law enforcement would be warriors. Politicians could be considered aristocrats. Unless there are some recent breakthroughs I am unaware of, none of us are adepts, though I suppose you could put theoretical scientists in there.

Remove ads