D&D 2E What would you bring from PF2e to your 5e game?

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I've been noodling the whole "only certain creatures get AoO"....because what I find boring in 5e is the combat and how once you are in position, you are in position and everyone just stands around swinging until the opponents die.....but then, I come from a tactical bent......

dave2008

Legend
I've been noodling the whole "only certain creatures get AoO"....because what I find boring in 5e is the combat and how once you are in position, you are in position and everyone just stands around swinging until the opponents die.....but then, I come from a tactical bent......
i haven't had that issue in my 5e games, but if that is a problem for you that sounds like a good idea. It works well with the 3 action economy too.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
In your games, monsters move around once they are near heroes? Characters take AoOs often? Maybe it's who I've played with....

darjr

I crit!
It depends. Sometimes monsters have better things to do with their reactions. And sometimes the fighter or monk provokes one so it's used up and everyone scatters.

I've had players with features that depend on the monster taking one, then they're reaction is gone.

I've had players take the chance too, it's not always bad.

And I've refrained from having the monsters do it cause I wan'ted to make sure that ONE particular guy gets em all.

darjr

I crit!
Oh and at tier 1 and 2 throw in a handful of goblins, nimble action can break things up.

At higher levels an occasional monster has it, SURPRISE!

ad_hoc

(they/them)
In your games, monsters move around once they are near heroes? Characters take AoOs often? Maybe it's who I've played with....

PCs only get 1 reaction.

Lower AC PCs tend to try to stay away from monsters.

It makes a lot more sense for monsters to go after the weaker party members. Either there are a group of them or they are very tough.

It's hurts much less to take 1 or 2 attacks and take an entire character or two out of the fight than the alternative.

Monsters then get their own OAs when ranged PCs need to run.

Tough characters get to take extra attacks. Vulnerable characters need to make some tough decisions and do their best to be safe. Combat is more dynamic, it's fun.

Last edited:

Remove ads