What would you characterise as your primary style of playing D&D?

What is your normal style of playing D&D?

• In short adventures (1-6 months)

Votes: 36 15.4%
  • In mini-campaigns (7-12 months)

Votes: 70 29.9%
  • In a campaign (1-4 years)

Votes: 97 41.5%
  • In a long campaign (5+ years)

Votes: 31 13.2%

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
How often you play makes a difference. Luckily, I have the time to DM two campaigns at the moment - one weekly, the other fortnightly, although I use many published adventures for inspiration, as coming up with my own ideas all the time can get... repetitive.

Cheers!

Virginia Wilde

First Post
Personally, I'd rather not play the same character for two years. I can come up with all sorts of bizarre personality traits and characterization hooks without much effort (they just come to me), and I find I want to explore certain facets of thought. It's hard to do that with a single character (doesn't help that my DM ain't that great, either).

sparhawk

First Post
I would love the chance to play in a long running campaign but first I have to be able to even find a group to join. Sometimes moving can really suck.

Last edited:

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Interesting split of gaming types... an equivalent number of votes for the very short and very long forms, with a certain tendency towards an 'average' campaign length of somewhere over a year.

Cheers!

Terraism

Explorer
Daydreaming, 'cause I almost never get a chance to run a campaign more than two sessions long. Of course, if I can get this game off the ground, now that I'm in college, I'm keeping my fingers crossed, hoping for that to change.

Bagpuss

Legend
Short adventures for me are 1 to 2 weeks.

What do you define as a campaign?

You see we have been playing Flashing Blades, for about 7 years now in the same campaign setting with the timeline always moving forward. But we have had breaks to play other games and had changes of characters and players. Is that one campaign, or since we don't tend to play more than 6 months in one go a mini-campaign? Or since that actual 'adventures' tend to be no more than a few weeks short adventures?

Its the same for our high level AD&D, mid-level D&D, occasional Cyberpunk, etc...

To be honest we all get board of playing the same thing for more than 6 months, plus the DM's get fatigue so we rotate after about 6 months of play. I wouldn't say we were playing 'short adventures' however.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Basically, you have to define campaign for yourself in this poll. :)

However, I think one variant may be how long you will play one character before moving too another.

Or have (basically) the same group.

Cheers!

AussieDM

First Post
I've been DM'ing the one campaign for 14 years...

We only play 3 or 4 times a year, so it hasn't been a long campaign, but the odd thing is that there has never been any deaths....

A couple of close calls, particularly last session where I had my first PC down to -8hp, but no deadin's (yet!)

We played 1st Ed and have converted the same PC's to 3rd Ed.

In the long gaps between sessions, I try to fit in RPGA games where I sit on the other side of the screen

Remove ads