D&D 5E What Would You Do?

Assuming there was supposed to be a question in there:

If I'm running a game at a store and there's an understanding the the owner may ask me to add a player who just showed up: I'd have a handful of pregens in my bag just in case. Either a selection of basic concepts (built to be as simple to play as possible: ie a champion fighter, a blast-focused warlock, stuff like that) or maybe just make one for each of the classes, based on the picture in the PHB. That way if someone shows up who wants to try the game, I can pull out a sheet, explain what a d20 is, and we can get started.

When I was running an open table, I always tried to have a good selection of pregens on hand for people to pick from. Sometimes they'd get depleted and the options would be a bit limited (sorry person that had to choose between two rogues and a fighter that one time).

I was working with a fixed start time (and there was only so early I could arrive between finishing work, eating, and walking the dog). So chances are I had all of 5-10 minutes before it was time to start gaming - helping them make a character from scratch just wasn't an option.

If I'm running a game at a store and there's an understanding the the owner may ask me to add a player who just showed up: I'd have a handful of pregens in my bag just in case.

Zardnaar

Legend
prevents not a bad idea. I wasn't planning on adding a 6th player. I'm not running an open game as such though.

I'm capping it at 6 there's 15 or so quiet time of the year but that can creep up to 30 or so and the students are back in town around about now.

No D&D this week due to Covid alert levels.

aco175

Legend
I would think that if I am playing at a game store, I would have some new players coming and going, onlookers and lurkers, maybe some other distractions. I cannot blame the owner to ask if someone can join a game if he has been asked by the player.

Some of my factors on the new player is how old he is and how long he has been playing. My teenage son takes some time making PCs, but I could make one in 10 minutes. I would be flexible in the next few weeks as he grows into the PC, especially if you are saying that he is working out as a good player. Some may be feeling part of the group after a few weeks and feeling out the other players and DM personality and style.

So good find fun all round just wondering what others would do in this situation? Ten minutes to make a character go!!
Without more information on the details of the game and the situation... I'll pick race and class. Then we can START PLAYING. Everything else can be filled in as we go. I don't need to spend hours or days creating "a build" to play and enjoy D&D. If I ever do I'll likely bow out and play something/somewhere else.

Zardnaar

Legend
Without more information on the details of the game and the situation... I'll pick race and class. Then we can START PLAYING. Everything else can be filled in as we go. I don't need to spend hours or days creating "a build" to play and enjoy D&D. If I ever do I'll likely bow out and play something/somewhere else.

That was the basic idea. Get something playable sort details out later.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
So good find fun all round just wondering what others would do in this situation?
Glad it worked out for you, but for me when he got back from McDonald's I would have told him to forget it. (Now, if you knew he was heading out first, then fine, but if he asks like "Can I join?" and then takes off--nah...)

And as soon as the phone/app came out, forget about it.

If he stuck around, I would have told him to make his PC and join when he's ready.

Zardnaar

Legend
Glad it worked out for you, but for me when he got back from McDonald's I would have told him to forget it. (Now, if you knew he was heading out first, then fine, but if he asks like "Can I join?" and then takes off--nah...)

And as soon as the phone/app came out, forget about it.

If he stuck around, I would have told him to make his PC and join when he's ready.

I generally give people a chance generally you know by session 2 if it's gonna work out.

He was an older fella played 2E last and I understand about the good as we go get a kebab.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I generally give people a chance generally you know by session 2 if it's gonna work out.

He was an older fella played 2E last and I understand about the good as we go get a kebab.
Depending on the person, where we are in the session, I would be more inclined to invite him to sit in and work on a PC for next time. That way he can see how I run my tables, what is going on, what the other players are like, etc. and maybe get an idea of what sort of PC he wants to play.

Generally, I don't let people jump in during a session.

Zardnaar

Legend
Depending on the person, where we are in the session, I would be more inclined to invite him to sit in and work on a PC for next time. That way he can see how I run my tables, what is going on, what the other players are like, etc. and maybe get an idea of what sort of PC he wants to play.

Generally, I don't let people jump in during a session.

Generally neither do I. Made an exception for a variety of reasons (vibe, 2E between, need 1 more reliable player etc).

Remove ads