D&D (2024) What would you like in the 2024 DMG Instead of the Bastion System?

Davinshe

Explorer
I perceive that despite the fact that the Bastion system was intended to be one of the biggest, shiniest toys to be revealed during this playtest, the overall reaction (based on comments and the number of threads) is largely that of indifference. Considering this, as well as the total number of pages in the DMG this system will likely consume, I wonder if WotC should consider spending those pages on some other new feature instead. So I put the question to the community, what sort of system would you prefer instead of the Bastion system, or have I misjudged and most actually really like the Bastion system?

Last edited:

A functional and clear set of Exploration rules with or without resource management.
Something akin to the downtime rules, but for the wilds.
Definitely this. A lot more parties move between places, than park in one place to build a bastion there. It doesn't need to be (and shouldn't be!) a heavy system, but some support for the GM when the party is in the wilderness, instead of 'uhmmm I guess you arrive at your destination'.

And no, rolling for random encounters doesn't work, because it's not like you want to roll for a fight encounter because then that's a third of the session wasted on a pointless fight which doesn't even spend their resources (unless using the Gritty Resting pacing).

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
The goal of the bastion rules (as I see them) is an admirable one: trying to bring back some semblance of domain management without the baggage, instead making it into a extra that can be used to help with some of the peripheral concerns that happen between adventures.

The issue that I have with it is that it largely takes something which (in my opinion) should warrant greater investment from the players (i.e. a home base) and largely makes it vestigial. You get a few points to spend on relatively minor resources, and not much else.

As I see it, there's a difficulty in making domain management feel like a source of adventures (or maybe an avenue to different kinds of adventures) rather than a shackle that keeps high-level characters stuck at home instead of being out clearing dungeons, slaying monsters, etc. I'll admit that I'm not entirely sure how to square that circle, but the bastion rules as presented don't feel like the answer.

Davinshe

Explorer
The goal of the bastion rules (as I see them) is an admirable one: trying to bring back some semblance of domain management without the baggage, instead making it into a extra that can be used to help with some of the peripheral concerns that happen between adventures.

The issue that I have with it is that it largely takes something which (in my opinion) should warrant greater investment from the players (i.e. a home base) and largely makes it vestigial. You get a few points to spend on relatively minor resources, and not much else.

As I see it, there's a difficulty in making domain management feel like a source of adventures (or maybe an avenue to different kinds of adventures) rather than a shackle that keeps high-level characters stuck at home instead of being out clearing dungeons, slaying monsters, etc. I'll admit that I'm not entirely sure how to square that circle, but the bastion rules as presented don't feel like the answer.
I agree with this. I think if you're going to have rules for bastions they ought to feel aspirational at the top end. Both BECMI domain management rules and even the deeply flawed 3rd edition stronghold builder's guide had this -- it's rules allowed someone to believe that you could eventually get something really cool, powerful, unique, or original. The bastion system as printed is comparitively humdrum.

20 pages of new magic items that offer bastion like effects that can be bought and placed in your stronghold plus two pages of stronghold rules which are simply costs for building (which can be got around by acquiring the stronghold in some other way) and maintaining a stronghold and its hirelings (I would just say that hirelings pay for themselves in what they do in their day to day work in the keep and then let the hireling rules do the heavy lifting.

As it is, the Bastion is totally a player facing concept, it shouldn't be in the DMG, but the PHB instead even though it is "optional".

Anything as halfbaked as the current Bastion system shouldn't be in the game at all. It is just going to become a super complicated way to make a respawn point for characters in the game.... something that could be achieved through a magic item.

Remove ads