D&D 5E What would you like to see in 5e books?

jgsugden

Legend
The top things I want to see in 5E:

Psionic classes. They are a core mechanic from prior editions that many of us have incorporated into our setting that we've had to work around not having official rules to handle.

More feats. The existing options are fine, but some of them need to be upgraded to be worthwhile, even though they fill a good conceptual home. There are also a lot of ideas for feats that have been proposed that are not explored.

More spells. There are a lot of historic spells that do not exist, and a lot of 5E specific concepts - like ways to combine concentration spells in a balanced fashion, that have yet to be explored. I have about 1000 homebrew spells in 5E as I like each spellcaster to feel unique, but many of them are described on a few words (as 3E, 10d6 dam, dex sav 1/2).

More magic items. I'd like to see a book that has 500 or so magic items - there are a lot of historical items from prior editions that have not been included in the current edition. As with spells, I have a lot of home brew items, but

And as a bonus - get out of the books. I want to see WotC offer DM University, a set of classes that DMs can take online to improve their skills. It should cover administration, acting, world building, handling common player problems, adventure type recommendations (dungeon delve, versus mystery, versus heist, versus war storyline, versus hex crawl, versus.... - how to prepare for an adventure of each type) WotC could work with D&D Beyond to do this and then create some unique boards on the Beyond site for DMs that have completed the courses to discuss ideas outside the prying eyes of (most) players.

TheDelphian

Explorer
I just want a big spell book and a player options.

I can do all the campaign stuff etc. I need someone to help me with the harder to balance stuff like spells. I create my own I check out DM guild and third party stuff. Some of that is good some sucks. It is often in the same book.

They can do a better job of balancing than me. For the most part. While not perfect having multiple professional eyes on it and maybe more play testers than me gives them a solid advantage in that department.

While If I screw up in a campaign with balance I can usually fix that easier than tweaking, adding and removing spells and class options. Its not really fair to the players and not as much fun for them to guinea pig all the time.

The return of the monster classes, a new "Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords" and the vestige pact magic, and the totemist shaman, with incarnum soumelds about monster traits but a simple game mechanic.

The metaplot of Ravenloft and Dark Sun to be continued.

The return of the chronomancers and the time spheres to create my own version of Dragonlance or another world

A new Oriental Adventures with samurai, ninja and sohei as base classes, and interesting racial traits for the shens.

Dragonborn and half-dragon subraces for all the dragons, not only metallic and chromatic.

All the dragons with age category from previous editions, even the brainstealer and the cobra dragon (as lord of the yuan-ti).

Fraals (little gray aliens) as psionic race. Ardent as cleric subclass at least.

Remove ads