D&D 5E What would you want to see in a hypothetical 5e Kaldheim Campaign Setting Book?

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
What's a Kaldheim?

1629678547356.png

Parmandur

Book-Friend
As Kaldheim has its own set of deities, I would like to see a continuation of the piety system introduced in Mythic Odysseys of Theros for the Kaldheim pantheon.
Actually, quite the opposite: Kaldheim has no Devotion mechanics, unlike the Theros cards. The Kaldheim deities are a little more activist than your standard D&D gods still, but they are not as tied into society and personal Piety as in Theros.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
From what I gather, it's like Theros, but Norse instead of Greek. And it's very snowy.

@Henadic Theologian, what do you think are the most important aspects of the setting? Especially for those of us who don't know MtG. Do the gods play an important role? The wiki says that there are prophecies. Is this something that affects players--like, would there be Prophecy Gifts in the same way Theros had Supernatural Gifts? So far, both of the MtG settings for D&D showcased a particular optional rule from the DMG: renown for Ravnica and piety for Theros. What would Kaldheim showcase or introduce?
I don't know.if Strixhaben will be doing that sort of DG showcasing: maybe factions and downtime there?

As to Kaldheim: Foretell is a big mechanic in the cards, but I'm not sure how that would translate to D&D as implemented in Magic (the Foretell cards allow a Spell to be partly paid for, and wait for another turn to pay the full cost).

Survival rules seem probable, as the Ten Realma are all frozen and harsh environments.

Vehicle rules might make a comeback.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm guessing Strixhaven was supposed to showcase multiclass archetypes but there was too much pushback against them.
While neat and innovative, that's not nearly the sort of mechanical showcase that Rek own and Piety were. Theros characters are more or less defined by the Piety track, same with Ravnica and Reknown with the Guilds.

Remove ads