D&D 5E What would your 5 PC party be?

jgsugden

Legend
This is just to address curiosities - no wrong answers. Basic question: What 5 PC party would you want to have for a competitive challenge?

Let's say you've been invited to a competition in which you'll run a 5 PC party (7th level) through a short adventure with you running all 5 PCs. You'll make the PCs for the session. The PCs will be made with point buy, and will start with 5000 gps collectively (or 1000 per PC), and can buy a rare item for 2000 gold or an uncommon item for 400 gold (one half that cost if the item is a consumable like a potion or scroll). You may use only Published materials from WotC.

This is what you know about the adventure/challenge:
1.) It will involve the exploration, social and combat pillars.
2.) It'll cover no more than 8 hours of gaming (real time limit), and you will be able to take one short rest (but not a long rest).
3.) You'll face up to 8 combat encounters - 3 deadly, 3 hard and 2 medium. There are ways to bypass some or all of the combat encounters without combat. There are additional challenges outside combat to be overcome.
4.) There will be 2 major goals and 10 minor goals. You'll be eliminated if you do not achieve both major goals, and the parties that complete the most minor goals will advance to the next round. An example of a major goal would be "(Named NPC) must be alive at the end of the adventure." An example of a minor goal would be "Identify the name of the being that murdered (Named NPC)" or "Possess the Sapphire Crown."
5.) The adventure will not be setting specific (not specifically Eberron, FR, Greyhawk, etc...)

With that framework in mind: What 5 PCs would you select? How would you equip them generally (no need for specifics)?

Shiroiken

Legend
Barbarian, Cleric (Life), Bard, Wizard (Evoker), and Paladin would be one of the strongest. In combat, Barbarian and Paladin would front line, supported by Cleric as needed, with Bard and Wizard providing artillery and control/support. Paladin and Bard would severe the party's face during social encounters, while the Cleric can support with Insight and possibly Zone of Truth. Exploration would be focused on the Bard and Wizard, who can use spells and skill to bypass or prepare for a lot of challenges. The only real downside to this setup is the lack of short rest classes, leaving the party to conserve daily resources as much as possible.

Will the party know the objectives before the adventure begins?
Can you buy multiple magic items?

I would probably go with Battle Smith Artificer, Druid, Paladin, and Wizard, although dependent upon the answer to the above question, I might go with Warlock instead.

8 combat encounters is a lot in a day, so we need classes with a bit of endurance. On the other hand short rest classes get . . . shorted by only one short rest instead of the usual two, so monks and fighters might not do too well. - Unless you're going with the Hand Crossbow Sharpshooting Battlemaster or similar.
Dependent upon le tolerance du fromage, you could throw in some Hexblade in on the Paladin, but I'm assuming feats but not excessive optimisation.
I thought about Rogue, but the other classes cover their bases pretty well.
Wizard might seem an odd choice, but it is really hard to argue with the power and versatility of a full caster. Their low at-will damage can be compensated for with a Wand of Fireballs. Likewise I'd probably give the Druid a Staff of Healing so they could devote more spells to utility.
Artificer is probably the best for long-endurance support and their defender gives another body to obstruct and soak damage. Paladins break all sorts of character power limitations and are good at social stuff as well as good at-will damage in combat. Druids get stealth and versatility from Wild shape plus full caster with good utility and summons.

Scribe

Legend
My initial thought for that is.

Paladin - Oath of Conquest
Cleric - Twilight Domain
Druid - Circle of Wildfire
Bard - College of Eloquence
Wizard - Divination

Plenty of skills, plenty of damage, plenty of healing, plenty of summons. I'd love to play with a group running something like that, what couldn't they handle?

Added subclasses for fun.

Last edited:

BookTenTiger

He / Him
I'd create a group focused on Stealth, with enough back-up firepower to get out of tricky situations when things go wrong. How about:

Rogue Assassin
Fighter Battlemaster (focusing on Archery)
Wizard Illusionist
Moon Druid
Bard of Eloquence

Everyone would invest in Stealth as a skill, and when we couldn't sneak or ambush, the Moon Druid and Fighter could switch to front-line, or the Bard could talk us out of a bad situation.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Ok, so more seriously, I like somewhat stealthy parties, so probably (not that this is quite optimized, but...)

Gloomstalker Ranger
Divination Wizard
Moon Druid
Bear Totem Barbarian
Rogue Assassin

aco175

Legend
I was thinking of going heavy in wizards, but now think a light cleric with fireball and a life cleric with lots of healing since there is 8 encounters. Add another wizard to the mix and maybe a halfling thief with the hide and pop out ability or the aim power to sneak attack with advantage. Maybe barbarian to finish things off with the reckless attack and the half damage power.

Slit518

Adventurer
My 5 party of PCs would be
  1. Bard (Lore) - Support; Heal; Rogue stuff; Social
  2. Paladin (Vengeance) - Tank; Heal; Social
  3. Monk (Shadow) - Tank; Rogue stuff
  4. Ranger (Hunter) - Tank; Exploration
  5. Warlock (whatever) - Magic

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases