D&D (2024) What would your ideal rest mechanic look like?

Yes, and I think that is an issue with typical D&D. It overvalues tiny creature damage in my opinion. I mean a cat causes 1 slashing damage. I've had many a cat scratch and it would take about a million of them (or more) before I would need a death save!

I think I remember maybe a next playtest iteration, where cats did 1d4-3 damage. This was probably 0 most of the time.

But in the end, DnD also undervaules damage from huge enemies.

dave2008

Legend
I think I remember maybe a next playtest iteration, where cats did 1d4-3 damage. This was probably 0 most of the time.
That would be better.
But in the end, DnD also undervaules damage from huge enemies.
yes it does, if you think HP is meat. However, we have separate meat points. Since a human has about 10 BHP max. A hit from an ancient dragon is instant death like it should be!

dave2008

Legend
What are BHP?
Bloodied Hit Points
Can you still act on HP=0?
Yes. 0 BHP = dead.
I like the idea.
It has worked well for us. At one point we included lingering injuries on crits too, but we didn't find it fun in play. Anyway, here are our BHP, AC, and Recovery rules:

1661778707634.png

1661778922650.png

1661778737389.png

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
This a difficult task and I am not sure there is an "ideal" rest mechanic for D&D since the game incorporates a wide variety of playstyles.
I think an ideal system would recognise the different styles and break out the various resources involved and allow the DM to cycle them on different recovery mechanics.
What do I mean by this?
Essentially at the moment a D&D character has a number of resources that reset on rest breaks. They are; Powers (spell, Ki, maneuvers etc.), inventory (scrolls, potions, etc), and health (hit points, hit dice).
There is not particular reason that powers should be recovered on the same mechanic as health (rests). Powers could be recovered on a clock (At dawn of a new day, with or with out a rest, for instance) where as health would need a rest or a rest in a safe haven.
The DM should be supplied with enough information to be able to set the various recovery mechanics to suit the style of game they want.

I am not sure what those mechanics would look like though.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Short Rest - 1 hour, reboots "encounter" level powers (I've got problems with Prof/day recharges…)
Long Rest - 8 hours for full benefit, 4 hours for partial benefit, some lineages give full benefit with 4 hour special resting mechanics etc. However, this doesn't clear all levels of exhaustion or certain diseases or other injuries.
Extended Rest - 28-30 days for full benefit, 7-10 days for partial benefit. Certain diseases or major injuries might advance without proper treatment, but most will be dealt with from resting for an extended period. All exhaustion cleared. Maybe you can roll every 7-10 days to see if you've cleared exhaustion / diseases / recovered extended rest recharge mechanics (Wish spell?).

Remove ads