What you love about D&D, isn't D&D

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
I'm not certain that it's threadjacking when the parameters of the thread are "Put the least amount of thought into your answer as possible!" Using the poll as a springboard for an actual, substantive discussion isn't threadjacking. It's responsible use of a discussion board.
It is a good springboard for an interesting discussion, but it's still a threadjack. Seriously, not everybody reading that thread expecting to see knee-jerk reactions was interested in that particular springboard. Some just want to see the off-the-cuff remarks and who said what, without having to pick through long-winded explanations of why those knee-jerk reactions are wrong or not.

One wouldn't interject such analysis into a thread asking "give me a bunch of quick plot hooks involving domesticated desert animals and undead", right? So why feel compelled to do it in a more opinionated but equally short-form response thread?

It's just, imho, more sensible to fork off a new thread for tangential discussion. Then the readers who want to follow that discussion can; while those who don't aren't forced to give up on the initial thread. That is responsible use of a discussion board.

[and this, by the way, is another threadjack ;) ]

Last edited:

SnowleopardVK

First Post
One wouldn't interject such analysis into a thread asking "give me a bunch of quick plot hooks involving domesticated desert animals and undead", right? So why feel compelled to do it in a more opinionated but equally short-form response thread?

I think one would. A lot of threads seem to head that way at some point or another. Some just hold out longer than others.

and this, by the way, is another threadjack ;)

It's been one for awhile now...

Ahnehnois

First Post
I never use published adventures. Several years after I learned the rules and had played a while and DMed a campaign or two, I received a published adventure as a gift (Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil). I remember reading through it and almost laughing as I thought This isn't D&D. Obviously, it is D&D. It has a D&D logo on it, and I'm sure there are many people who consider it a classic, but everything about the content and the way it was presented was completely at odds with the way I play D&D.

D&D is a hobby that you put some much of yourself into (above and beyond what's in the books) that it's no wonder people's experiences with it are so diverse or that they feel so strongly about them.

Heathen72

Explorer
What you just wrote had nothing to do with D&D. :lol:

Arguments are what the internet forums are made of. I'd like to say it was not true but people will argue, sometimes, just for the argument.

What you wrote has nothing to do with internet forums. Arguments are what life is made of.

Aeolius

Adventurer
Why would anyone like X in their D&D to begin with? That's just stupid. There was no X when I started playing. Sure, some people might have added some X into their games back then, but they were playing wrong.

punch-chemical-x.gif

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases