What you love about D&D, isn't D&D

Doug McCrae

Legend
The arguers have differeing ideas about the term "D&D" in that context (Is it the rules? Is it the design intention? Is it individuals' games? Is it the topic of the game?).
I think this is an excellent point, something I've noticed previously myself.

I actually think we could do with some terminology to distinguish between an rpg in the sense of the game text and actual instances of play. We have terms like campaign and home game but it often seems that when people talk about D&D they frequently mean 'our home game'.

And as you say, often there's tensions within the text itself. 1e has quite a lot of simulationist rules, and simulationist justifications for the rules that aren't simulationist (like demi-human level limits), and yet the GM advice is mostly gamist - DON'T make it easy for the players!

Paranoia doesn't know whether it's a broad comedy or a dark political satire. And the reason for that is the two main designers disagreed on the issue.

Doug McCrae

Legend
I think roleplaying games have a particular problem with diversity of interpretation, moreso than most hobbies. Some people think a player should do everything he can to win, within the rules. Some think a player's most important job is to act in character. Some think a GM's job is primarily to challenge the players, others believe a GM should create a sense of a living breathing world or tell a story.

You just don't get these divisions in a game like World of Warcraft for example. Everyone agrees that winning is desireable. You won't see a player deliberately playing in a highly non-optimal way because it's what their character would do. Admittedly there are roleplaying servers, but there are far fewer of these than non-roleplaying servers.

Lord Crimson

Explorer
Paranoia doesn't know whether it's a broad comedy or a dark political satire. And the reason for that is the two main designers disagreed on the issue.

Can't it be both, though? Why the pigeon-holes people?!?!

Actually, I see that starting another conversation: is Paranoia a broadly comedic dark political satire or a darkly politicized and satirical broad comedy?

Crothian

First Post

Paranoia knows exactly what it is. Anything to the contrary is obviously commie mutant propaganda. As to what Paranoia is you don't have the security clearance for that information.

Remove ads