• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Whatever happened to Shifters?

Zadam

First Post
This has probably been discussed already, but I couldn't find a search facility anyweher, so please forgive me :)

Just wondering if anyone knows why the Shifter PrC has been canned in 3.5? Was it some kind of balance issues?

I've been playing a bit of Neverwinter Nights which is based on 3.0 rules, and I've experimented with a Shifter character, and it doesn't seem to be all that powerful if you ask me (Maybe I'm missing something?).

Zadam

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
It hasn't been canned...it appears in Complete Adventurer with a new name, Master of Many Forms. :)

Ahh nice, thanks for the speedy response! Has there been any changes made to it mechanically?

Caeleddin

First Post
A lot of people went librarian crap because of the openness of the character. I am still getting screams of "BROKEN!!!!" from long time Druid players today.

Don't ask me why. In NWN, a sword and board switching to greatsword Ftr/Sorc/RDD was the way to go, IMO.

Testament

First Post
Its now strictly Druid only, and doesn't ever get supernatural abilities of the form you assume IIRC. It can't go undead, construct or (for some weird reason) Magical Beast, but can go Aberration (WTF!?).

Not much else changed.

Tetsubo

First Post
I think that they really messed this PrC up in the name of "balance". The Aberration but no Magical Beast issue is just confounding. The Shifter was my favorite PrC in 3.0. The Master of Many Forms just leaves me flat. I think that Natures Warrior and Warshifter would be much more useful in 3.5 for a Druid.

IcyCool

First Post
Caeleddin said:
A lot of people went librarian crap because of the openness of the character. I am still getting screams of "BROKEN!!!!" from long time Druid players today.

Don't ask me why. In NWN, a sword and board switching to greatsword Ftr/Sorc/RDD was the way to go, IMO.

I went almost the exact same route, except I did Paladin/Sorc/RDD. The shifter doesn't get cool in that game until epic levels.

However, watching a druid in our 3E game shift into a Girallon and dismember a Frost Giant certainly did make me ponder balance. At the very least, I was glad he was on our side :)

Caeleddin

First Post
Paladin isn't worth it. You only get 9 levels of it by level 20, so most of the Pal's abilities are neutered.

Fighter is the only class I'd consider if I play multiclass. After level 4, as long as you do it in even levels, you don't lose anything. The extra feats really help.

IcyCool

First Post
Caeleddin said:
Paladin isn't worth it. You only get 9 levels of it by level 20, so most of the Pal's abilities are neutered.

Fighter is the only class I'd consider if I play multiclass. After level 4, as long as you do it in even levels, you don't lose anything. The extra feats really help.

In a normal game of D&D, I'd agree (Sorc1/Fighter9/DD10 is a fun combo). In NWN, I went with the Pally for the immunity to fear, disease, and the beefy bonus to my saving throws. I found the extra feats to be less useful in NWN, mainly because you couldn't specifically create the items you wanted. (i.e., you specialize in the Greatsword, but the best weapon you've found is a longsword).

Caeleddin

First Post
The best weapon in the game is a greatsword/longsword/shortsword/dagger. Enserric.

The most fun, but cheesy, combo in a normal game is a Half-Celestial Ftr/Sorc/HDD 9/1/10. You get 4 attacks a round and all the goodness of a HC and a HD for an effective 4 LA and 4 BAB. Even the Sorc level is extremely useful if you don't use a shield (+4 AC for 1 min and immunity to MM).

Remove ads