TSR Whatever Happened To TSR's Michael?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
He blocked me, too. Only my second time being blocked (as far as I can tell), and both of them were by trolls.
Thing is, there's no easy way to tell if someone's blocked you; particularly if that someone is an infrequent poster.

I can only think of one quasi-regular poster who I know has me blocked, but I'm sure there's others. :)

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Thing is, there's no easy way to tell if someone's blocked you; particularly if that someone is an infrequent poster.

I can only think of one quasi-regular poster who I know has me blocked, but I'm sure there's others. :)
I know. I only noticed the first time because I was confused why I couldn't see their posts anymore. There could be more people blocking me, but I've only been here for less than 18 months and haven't noticed anyone else block me yet.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So, this was a post about how this was Michael's opportunity to step up. To actually apologize where Ernie didn't. To name who was posting as Ernie instead of just saying "someone".
Pretty sure that was established as Stephen Dinehart, who parted ways with TSR3 shortly thereafter and spun off Wonderfiled (later Wonderfilled) with the Giantlands project.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Pretty sure that was established as Stephen Dinehart, who parted ways with TSR3 shortly thereafter and spun off Wonderfiled (later Wonderfilled) with the Giantlands project.
Was it? Both he and Ernie posted similar comments alleging that WotC was conspiring against them as I recall, but was there ever any allegation/clarification that Dinehart was posting anonymously as Ernie or as the main TSR3 account? My impression had been that he was using his own and the Giantlands/Wonderfiled account.

The statements from Dinehart and TSR from the Fourth TSR thread don't seem to quite line up...

jgsugden

Legend
Let's help Michael out. He's in a very tough spot.

There are a number of offensive things that took place. Some responses provided to those events were a small step in the right direction (severing ties with certain individuals, for example).

Other things have been identified as unattended problems. If Ernie and TSR want to make the long trek from where they are to a place where they are accepted and potentially even appreciated in the community, what are the things that need to happen?

I'll offer up that a basic starting block is that Ernie must address that video and show that he has reflected on why people are outraged by it, and why it is offensive. Further, he needs to apologize, with sincerity and remorse, for what he said. On a personal level, I'd like to see him recognize the damage he (and this entire drama) did to the names of Gygax and TSR. I don't think an apology like this can be done via written word. We need to see that sincerity in his eyes as he speaks. Obviously, if he can't make a personal apology with sincerity with remorse, this is a non-starter.

Then, he needs to establish how he will use his position to attempt to make amends - perhaps by using his resources to support the very things he spoke of with disrespect.

Then, he needs to make good products that contribute to social responsibility rather than fight it, and hope the quality is appreciated enough for the community to want the content. As many people are unwilling to provide money to people with similar histories, TSR might want to consider producing some free sample product, similar to the pdf basic rules available from WotC for D&D, to exhibit the progress and quality before asking people to pay for something.

That is just a start. Do others have productive suggestions for what could be done to make the trek back into a place of acceptance in the broader gaming community?

MGibster

Legend
Even after recent history, when I hear the name Gygax or TSR I first think of the folks who created the original D&D and subsequent editions. Which surprised me a little bit but there you go. The truth is that I don’t really care about this modern TSR or what Ernie is up to. It was kind of fun to watch everything play out in real time like watching a dumpster fire burn out, but at the end of the day, what of it?

Do others have productive suggestions for what could be done to make the trek back into a place of acceptance in the broader gaming community?
Yes. Don't.

The broader community has no need for these folks. If Jim Ward (whom holds at least some respect from them) can't get them to see the light, why should the broader community that they show no respect for be able to influence them in anyway? And why should that community even try to help them?

By being genuine and trying to provide helpful feedback and advice, all you are doing is wasting your time and feeding trolls. A couple of posts by this supposed Michael and the community is back up in arms and spending time and energy on something that is best left to die and rot in a forgotten tomb never to be explored in this century.

There are much better and more worthy causes that can consume our time and energy.

jgsugden

Legend
Yes. Don't.

The broader community has no need for these folks. If Jim Ward (whom holds at least some respect from them) can't get them to see the light, why should the broader community that they show no respect for be able to influence them in anyway? And why should that community even try to help them?

By being genuine and trying to provide helpful feedback and advice, all you are doing is wasting your time and feeding trolls. A couple of posts by this supposed Michael and the community is back up in arms and spending time and energy on something that is best left to die and rot in a forgotten tomb never to be explored in this century.

There are much better and more worthy causes that can consume our time and energy.
You spent more time condemning them than it would take to offer productive advice, so you clearly have the time if you want to help someone out. We can give 2 minutes to write a response - they have to do the hard work.

I don't expect them to be the ones to see the light and make the trek, honestly. I'd be pleased to see them legitimately try, but I do not expect it. Even if they do not, the advice may be of use to others down the road.

Sir Brennen

Legend
You spent more time condemning them than it would take to offer productive advice, so you clearly have the time if you want to help someone out. We can give 2 minutes to write a response - they have to do the hard work.

I don't expect them to be the ones to see the light and make the trek, honestly. I'd be pleased to see them legitimately try, but I do not expect it. Even if they do not, the advice may be of use to others down the road.
There have been pages and pages of discussion of how they could have done better. (See "Similar Threads" at the bottom of this one.) The fact that this resurface of their PR guy who didn't implement any of those things, other than linking to a post that still misses the point - no one really wants to waste the electrons posting again trying to help guide them to a more acceptable response. They've burned through their good will.

Remove ads