TSR Whatever Happened To TSR's Michael?

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
There is just so much to unpack there....
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

Sacrosanct

Legend
There is just so much to unpack there....
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable
Yeah.

This might just be my opinion based on what I've seen, but I feel confident in saying we know who they are. To quote the famous Dennis Green rant:

1632856015511.png

They not only have no intent or desire to apologize, or take a different approach, on other gaming forums, they are the victims. That's the role they are embracing.

Don't get me wrong, I do sincerely believe people can change. I did, so I have to think anyone can. But they don't want to change. Instead they are doubling down.

So I don't know where you stand Michael of TSR3, but you're in a no-win position. You're in a position via the job you have defending abhorrent behavior your client insists on repeating, and nothing you say will be taken seriously as long as they keep doing it. I don't know if you agree with these behaviors, but if not, it seems an awfully strange job to take.

TSR-Hobbies

Explorer
@TSR-Hobbies what is your stance on inclusion in our hobby? What is TSR3's official stance? There were some ugly anti-inclusive statements made by members of your team only a few months ago.
My personal stance is I hope everyone can find the joy and love in gaming that I have. I have never turned anyone away from the beginning of a gaming session, and I have met many friends through the hobby. I still have friends I met in Everquest, and I think that our hobby, and community, is capable of forging great relationships through our common love of gaming.

TSR-Hobbies:
This is one of the reasons we use #PlayAsYouWish because it is a completely inclusive and universal term. We want everyone to be able to play as they wish. When we make a game and it’s in your hands, we don’t have any more say in how you choose to play it.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
This was just a few days ago.

Mod Note:

What the heck? What on Oerth made you think that was appropriate to post on these boards? That someone else said it, or that you feel it was "evidence" does not mean it is fair game to put such inappropriate gunk here. Use better judgement, please and thank you.

Let me preface this by saying that I am trying to speak in good faith here. I've worked in Communications and had to do damage control across social media. It is not pleasant and regaining that trust can seem next to impossible. Sometimes the best you can do is show that you're trying to do better, that you are listening to people's concerns.

This is why it is not enough to say everyone is welcome.

I have booted people from the table for a variety of reasons. Sexism, monkeywrenching, cheating, posting racist memes in chat to name a few. Because if you allow bad actors to continue to play how they want at the table, you are going to see the good players leave. For example, if you make space for a bigot or a player that always rolls that nat 20 when they need it, the table becomes their space. Good players will eventually get fed up and leave, and you'll be stuck with just the bad.

My personal stance is I hope everyone can find the joy and love in gaming that I have. I have never turned anyone away from the beginning of a gaming session, and I have met many friends through the hobby. I still have friends I met in Everquest, and I think that our hobby, and community, is capable of forging great relationships through our common love of gaming.

TSR-Hobbies:
This is one of the reasons we use #PlayAsYouWish because it is a completely inclusive and universal term. We want everyone to be able to play as they wish. When we make a game and it’s in your hands, we don’t have any more say in how you choose to play it.

BookTenTiger

He / Him

TSR-Hobbies:
I appreciate the attitude, but can you specifically address the anti-trans comments made by people associated with your company?

What is your company doing in order to promote inclusivity in gaming?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)

TSR-Hobbies:
There are a lot of players who say that - that they've never turned anybody away from the table. And that may be true. But that's different from taking the effort to welcome people and be welcoming when they don't fit the traditional demographics of a gamer. Without that effort, someone may see the convention center ballroom/game store/or even single game table surrounded by somewhat doughy white men and not interpret that as "approachable" if they don't match the demographic.

And that's why something like #PlayAsYouWish isn't enough. It's a passive, least effort slogan on TSR-Hobbies's part. And it's nowhere near enough in light of Ernie's statements. You have fences to mend by making heartfelt apologies for those. Low effort hashtag slacktivism isn't going to do that work.

TSR-Hobbies

Explorer
I appreciate the attitude, but can you specifically address the anti-trans comments made by people associated with your company?

What is your company doing in order to promote inclusivity in gaming?
The individual that made those tweets is no longer with TSR.

Ernie addressed the Trans Community directly in this press release.

Remove ads