What's a blessed weapon?

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Some regenerating creatures (e.g., pit fiend, abishai) take lethal damage from "blessed weapons." A rakshasa can be slain by a "blessed crossbow bolt."

But what counts as a blessed weapon, anyway?

I know that bless weapon (Pal1) makes a weapon a blessed weapon for its duration - but are there any other options (e.g., for clerics)? Also, I'd really like to know how this effect can be made permanent.

Thanks in advance,
Darkness

Crothian

First Post
A blessed weapon is a weapon that has the spell bless cast on it. I don't see any reason why it can't be made permanent, but I don't think that particuliar option is ever mentioned in any of the books. I think with Craft Weapons and Armor and access to the Bless spell you should be able to this.

Cloudgatherer

First Post
The "blessed" effect most often comes from spells. I do not think there are any magic enhancements that make a weapon blessed in the core rule books (so no official way to make it permanent), but I beleive there are other supplements that add the blessed property to a weapon. Shouldn't be difficult to create an enhancement that makes the weapon always "blessed."

Also, I know greater magic weapon (when cast by a cleric) makes the weapon blessed. Also, holy sword, but that's a 4th level paladin spell.

Later.

Darkness

Cloudgatherer said:
Also, I know greater magic weapon (when cast by a cleric) makes the weapon blessed. Also, holy sword, but that's a 4th level paladin spell.
Ah - seen it now. Also, apparently, magic weapon will do it, too, if cast by a good cleric. Thanks. :)

Now, how to make it permanent...? :cool:

Darkness

Crothian said:
I think with Craft Weapons and Armor and access to the Bless spell you should be able to this.
But how much would it cost / how many effective "plusses" would it be worth...?

[edit]Using magic weapon instead of bless, of course.[/edit]

Last edited:

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Crothian said:
A blessed weapon is a weapon that has the spell bless cast on it.

No, it's not. The only spells I know that make a weapon blessed are magic weapon, greater magic weapon, bless weapon, and holy sword. Bless does not.

Gromm

First Post
Darkness said:
But how much would it cost / how many effective "plusses" would it be worth...?

[edit]Using magic weapon instead of bless, of course.[/edit]

One at most, though you'd be better off with a Holy weapon since they seem to work in every instance that blessed one does (ie most devils/demons regenerate save for blessed or holy weapons).

Most DMs consider a Holy weapon a blessed one anyways.

Wippit Guud

First Post
I'm at work, don't have the books to find the proof, although it may be in the imp description, but I seem to recall that any weapon wieled by a paladind is considered blessed.

Remove ads