• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General What's a good site with consolidated setting facts about Greyhawk?

If you're willing to pay a bit, the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer is on the DMG. It's the most recent official general overview of the setting (so it includes more recent stuff that might rankle some fans):

Living Greyhawk Gazetteer (3.0) - Wizards of the Coast | Dungeons & Dragons 3.x | Dungeons & Dragons 3.x | Dungeon Masters Guild

Yeah, I've been avoiding it so far. I have the bare bones 3e D&D Gazetteer that I've been using in conjunction with the 1983 boxed set.

Shiroiken

Legend
The wiki at Canonfire is really good (at least it used to be... I haven't checked it out since the update). I'm not personally a fan of Canonfire because it's almost entirely fan created content, and I'd rather make my own if there's nothing official. However, it is a great site for Greyhawk related inspiration if that's what you need.

Oh, and nothing beyond 1985 was printed for Greyhawk, so saith the Gygax!

Coroc

Hero
I found some interesting resources there, but in general the sites aren't well organized for the kind of thing I'm looking for. For instance, if I wanted to find that same info I got from Wikipedia on the Principality of Ulek, where would I find it? Maybe there is some sort of gazetteer on one of those sites, but they're hiding it pretty well if there is.

I did find this info on the Wayback Machine. Maybe someone who likes to contribute to those sites would be interested in downloading and mirroring that?

Look for a TSR WGR product called The marklands, maybe you can find it as a pdf they stil lsell some old 1e and 2e stuff as downloadable pdf.

Coroc

Hero
Yeah, I've been avoiding it so far. I have the bare bones 3e D&D Gazetteer that I've been using in conjunction with the 1983 boxed set.

Use the boxed set with its city + (mostly) surrounding areas themed adventures for a start. Do not ignore the little things you can find in there like when players first go to greyhawk city they are to pay for the license to carry weapons, there are a whole bunch of nonsense rules like do not eat melons on the left side of the road on Tuesdays and such for comical relief. (Breaking them usually results in the instant fee payable to the attentive city inspector on patrol.)

Greyhawk has a quite realistic canalization, you can send low level parties to do the classical sewer cleaning (and expose the hidden cult) by using the maps. You can draw the sewer system on some transparent film and get an overlay to both the street map and the isometric map within the blue box since they all are on the same scale. (I did it like that, it helps to create elaborate plots for situations when city quarters might be closed of for some reasons and players need to get into them by different means, see why I dislike fly spells sometimes.)

Remove ads