D&D 5E What's D&D's closest equivalent to buzzard-people?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Monsters, not PC races: if I want something that's effectively a humanoid carrion-eating buzzard, what's the closest monster (from this or previous editions) to adapt? I'm considering aarakockra and harpies, but I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.

Thanks for any ideas!

Boarstorm

First Post
Vrock?

Depends I guess on if you want it to be a race or just a monster.

Edit: Oooh, refluffed kenku... "Carrion-ku". I like it.

Last edited:

Harpies are definitely buzzards, or vultures. (Buzzard is a weird term in ornithology.) But they have other baggage you may not want. Honestly, if you want the carrion-bird-humanoid, you use tengu/kenku. Or Vrocks.

I suspect the existing stats don't really reflect what you want them for - do you want some kind of "carrion-eating" powers?

Tormyr

Adventurer
I can't think of any specific creature other than the vrock. That means reskinning and doing your own.

Depending on how extensively you need this race, I would reskin several different creatures out of the MM. I am assuming you want something that has a fly speed built in. Each would make it easier for a different CR. Aarakocra, Angel, Axe Beak, Vrock, Flying Kobold, Harpy, Mephits, Giant Vulture, Wyvern. And those are just the creatures that could work that already have a fly speed built in. Then you can swap out powers from other creatures.

Astrosicebear

First Post
image.png

Nebulous

Legend
Yeah, harpy crossed with aarocraka.

Maybe tell us what you want it to do and we can brainstorm one or two racial traits to slap on an a harpy or vrock.

Remove ads