• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E What's good what's not in PF?

Kinak

First Post
I've been running Pathfinder for about two years now and I'd say my only real gameplay issue is that I don't like how 3.x/Pathfinder handles monsters. I end up boiling them down to a simpler framework before I run them.

Balance leans lot more strongly towards single-classed builds than prestige classes, which I think is awesome, but some people aren't fans of. A few big offenders in spells got hammered down, but casters still have a ton of tools at their disposal.

From the player-side, I've found the game lends itself a lot better to just going with the flow rather than having a build from level one. Some feats still have pre-requisite chains, but a lot of the talent and feat choices are more one-off.

There are some gimmicky builds that rely on weird readings of the rules, but you sound like you'll have those well in hand. They typically don't pass the smell test to begin with, so I wouldn't worry about them too much.

The high levels work a lot better than under 3.x, but still aren't great. Using some of the Mythic templates from Mythic Adventures can help a lot with stuff like action economy.

Those are all pretty small concerns, though, honestly. I've just been running it totally open, using whatever Paizo stuff people can find and haven't had any problems with the PCs.

Oh, one actual warning: Make sure your non-casters get magical items or inherent bonuses or however you want to handle those bonuses. Skimping on magical items shifts the balance towards the casters.

For what it's worth, I'm a big fan of the Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition. It's basically a whole campaign for $35. Money well spent in my opinion.

One thing I've been discussing over at RPG.net is the effect of removing summoning spells from the game (any thoughts here also appreciated) as the cosmology I have in mind doesn't involve celestial servants of the gods. I don't think it will change much that I care about.
That'll work out fine for you. It's the "gentleman's agreement" at my table (the players don't summon monsters or use eidolons/companions because it slows down combat) and we haven't had any problems with it.

Honestly, you could ban huge swathes of spells without it really giving casters problems. It's more a question of whether you'll annoy your players than anything else.

Cheers!
Kinak

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Regarding those stopping at 8th level or other defined level based on player min-maxing - not everyone does this. My PF games are generally fun up to 16th - 18th level as none of our players min-max. At the same time they do not deliberate build suboptimal characters, which many min-maxers think is the only alternative to min-maxing. I think any edition of the game, under the pretense of min-maxing is built to fail at higher levels. Just eschew that practice and most of those problems go away.

Wicht

Hero
Without getting into an argument with the anti-PF crowd, let me just say that I really like the system myself and think that while 3e was good, Pathfinder is better and more refined. Enjoy it and have fun.

As for what you need:
Core Book and Bestiary of course. That's all you need to run the game.

After that, I would add on the other Bestiaries as I got opportunity. In order of preference, if adding on, I would get the Advanced Player's Guide and the Gamemastery Guide before getting any of the other books. I would also, likely at this point, get the Mythic book before getting Ultimate Campaign, Ultimate Magic, or Ultimate Combat. All the books though are useful in their own way.

And don't forget to give 3pp publishers a shot if you want something specific.

Vegepygmy

First Post
I hate, hate, hate CMB/CMD. But good luck getting rid of it if you dislike it; it's a core mechanic in Pathfinder. Aside from that, I'm mostly pleased with the differences between PF and 3rd. (Except for summoners, of course. They're awful.)

S

Sunseeker

I've been running Pathfinder for about two years now and I'd say my only real gameplay issue is that I don't like how 3.x/Pathfinder handles monsters. I end up boiling them down to a simpler framework before I run them.

I have the same sentiments, but this isn't a Pathfinder flaw, it's a whole of 3rd edition flaw. Frankly I run revamped 4e monsters in my Pathfinder games.

Kinak

First Post
I have the same sentiments, but this isn't a Pathfinder flaw, it's a whole of 3rd edition flaw. Frankly I run revamped 4e monsters in my Pathfinder games.
Agreed. Pathfinder did what they could with the monsters, but the monsters as characters model isn't going to work for me unless the characters are way too simple for my players.

I honestly find 4e's pretty clunky too, so I've been homebrewing. And now we can get through several set piece combats in a session with a bit of time left to roleplay or explore. So it's been totally worth it.

Cheers!
Kinak

S

Sunseeker

Agreed. Pathfinder did what they could with the monsters, but the monsters as characters model isn't going to work for me unless the characters are way too simple for my players.

I honestly find 4e's pretty clunky too, so I've been homebrewing. And now we can get through several set piece combats in a session with a bit of time left to roleplay or explore. So it's been totally worth it.

At this point my monsters consist of defenses appropriate to how tough they should be vis-a-vis my party. Attacks that do what I want, when I want them to, and HP tailored to how long I want the fight to last. No more feats, no more skills, if I want my monster to swim, it can, if I want it cleave, it does. Which gives me monsters that can fit on one of those 4e power-cards, exactly as I like.

Posr

First Post
Another vote against Summoners. Especially Synthesist Summoners. Way too many ways to make mistakes with the mechanics and ultimately overpowered.
I think the main problem the system is facing now is an overabundance of options. I would recommend going with the core rulebook and adding options as you go along.

Remove ads